BC Boards

Picking out a working breeding, for sport purposes

I've definitely been in this same situation. When I was looking into rescues to adopt, I mostly got turned away because I was "too young" to be considered. I just turned 21. And I understand the concerns a rescue has because they want the best situation possible for the dog, but I can tell you that dog that eventually came into my life wants for absolutely nothing. Everything I do is for him, and I'd never make a decision that would not be beneficial to him. It was a very frustrating search at times--I only wish I had been given a chance for an interview at the very least.

Kristi, I'm sorry you ran into that problem. I would just like to point out, and not to sway Chantal's decision, just for clarity, that not ALL rescues would turn down a young applicant. Or not grant an interview. Some might, some wouldn't. Each rescue has it's own policies, some more strict than others, some that are more guidelines than hard and fast rules. I just don't want anyone reading to be under the impression that younger students, otherwise qualified, would NEVER get the chance to be approved by a rescue. (that's not even getting into shelters, which are far less strict about that type of thing)

I have two BCs, one from a cow/calf operation, that is abca registered and one from rescue wirh no registration. The one I have had since a pup with the abca registration has no stock sense. He just barks at the sheep. He is a pretty good agility dog, though we have just started competing. he is a very sweet and social boy. Turns out his breeders long ago stopped breeding for working abilitty and now just breed to make money.Luckily he loves to play with me. my rescue is one that was given up by her breeder because she was a washout on stock. She has turned out to be very nice on stock, just a late bloomer. her sire is a very nice working dog. she is also terrific at agility and super athletic. But no one would have thought her talented in agility or stock work before. My point is that a good agility dog is much more dependent on the trainer/handler where a good stock dog is more dependent on good breeding as herding ability is so instintictual and agility is trained. So whether you look at rescue or a pup, look at temperament and structure, but also realize that agility is 90% trained so a rescue could be a great option. specially considering that BC's have the highest relinquishment rate (so I have read) of any other breed, mostly because some breeders are not concerned about whether or not the home they sell their dog to is the right home for a BC. Anyway, my two cents would be to help out a rescue dog and not support an "all about profit" breeder who is not enhancing the working ability of the breed.

I would like to second that not all rescues are so age-specific. While I was in college, I adopted 2 dogs from rescue. After Jack died, I was approved for another rescue but ended up with a dog from a breeder. The rescues I got the dogs from were rescues I'd volunteered for, so I'm sure that helped my case. They knew me, knew I was apprenticing and teaching training classes, and therefore had no hesitation in adopting out to me. Sometimes getting the dog you want from a rescue might take a little bit of legwork, but it's worth it. Rescues are far more comfortable adopting out to people they "know", because they can be more confident about the quality of the home, regardless of age or other situations.

For what it's worth, a breeder shouldn't be any easier to get a dog from than rescue, in my opinion. A breeder worth his/her salt will interview just as thoroughly and won't just "hand over" a pup. Many people on these boards recommend going to herding trials and networking to find litters. Same kind of legwork involved.

I'm certainly not scared of doing the work to find the dog, as I'm here a year and a half early started "looking" :lol: I got asked a mini resume when I got Jude from his breeder and we are still in contact today. I'm not too worried about the age thing, as it certainly helps that I'm very into dog sports and already have a border collie, and that I feed raw, even if they don't agree with raw like most vets it does show dedication to properly feed it. It's more of the location thing, though I hope it helps that they can meet me in person and see my current, well loved/cared-for/exercised/healthy/etc dog.

I'll just be looking into both rescue and breeding, and I'll know when that perfect dog/line of pups comes along, it's kind of a click moment. I'm not going to limit myself saying I'm going either way.

I've heard only positive things about her, I respect the people who own the stud dogs she has used in the past, and I don't see any obvious red flags at all. Since I don't know her personally, I can't say but I think that (from the website) she sounds like a very good person to talk to about a pup (or rescue, as I see she does a bit of that, also).

Hi, I came across this breeder http://www.creeksidebordercollies.com/Puppies.html and I like her philosophy, she seems like she only focuses on breeding dogs with working ability. All pups sold that arent destined to herding must be fixed. I also like the raw feeding and minimal vaccinations thing. Anyone know of them?

I have a dog from her who is about 2.5 years old now. She does a fantastic job raising puppies and matching them up with people and is particular about where they go. I couldn't be happier with my dog!

I know a Creekside dog and love him. Great temperament, works stock and does agility, both very well. From what I know of the breeder and the dogs, I'd recommend her, also.

ETA: I'd talk to her soon and get on a list if you decide to move ahead with it. She doesn't breed all that often and there will be a wait list.

I know a Creekside dog and love him. Great temperament, works stock and does agility, both very well. From what I know of the breeder and the dogs, I'd recommend her, also.

ETA: I'd talk to her soon and get on a list if you decide to move ahead with it. She doesn't breed all that often and there will be a wait list.

Yup I already emailed her and we talked of possible breedings in 2012 and talked about her current wait-list standings. I got a very good vibe off of her website and than an even better vibe off of her. Just seeing now if people have personal experience with her and/or her dogs. :)

Great news then! I'm always so leery about websites and email, because it's so easy for people to lie and "look good" online.

Creekside, Fiona trials in USBCHA and has sheep. She hosts clinics and also trials in agility but her dogs are bred after they have proven working ability. She went to the World trial 4 years ago. Hopefully you'll be able to attend some of the trials we have in Ontario in the fall and meet some of the local handlers.

Cynthia

Archived