BC Boards

NEED HELP

I have a wonderful 10 week old border collie puppy who is teething teething i know is something dogs do but he seems to specifically teeth on peoples arms. he is big enough that it draws blood. iv tried telling him no and he lets go. but he then decides he should do it again. has anybody else experienced a similar problem? any suggestions?

How about handing him something he is allowed to chew on? It's even possible to get toys you can freeze that are supposed to be more soothing to a sore teething mouty, but even if you just hand him a regular chew toy, he'll get the idea of what is and is not proper to chew on.

J.

You might also try to make sure it's the same "consistency" as an arm--soft but with a hardness underneath. Sometimes really hard chew toys hurt and really soft ones don't do the trick.

When our GSD was a pup,9 weeks, she would latch onto your hands, arms what ever. Every time she did this I would just get up and leave the room leaving her behind. No reprimands/corrections. I would then come back in a minute or so and if she repeated biting, I would leave again. When she would come up and lick, I would pet her. As I hate being licked, as soon as she was licking consistently and not biting, I started to get up and leave when she licked. She got the attention she was seeking when she sat and calmed herself down. It took about a week for all of this to go down. Was it a pain in the butt? Yep but it did work. 7 years later she is still pretty good about calming herself for my attention although the tongue makes an appearance every now and then.

My experience is, he won't know he's hurting you unless you act out your pain. "OW!" and turn away from him, nursing your arm. This never fails with my dog, and it transfers to her toys. If she starts to tear one of her stuffies I will say, "OW! Poor duckie!" And she will stop being so rough and play more gently with the toy.

They don't mean to hurt you, and they have to be shown what hurts and what doesn't.

Brady was a HORRIBLE chewer when he was teething (and he's just a natural tough chewer anyway--I think our toys last about five minutes before they're just shredded), what I did to keep him from nipping was everytime I felt teeth I said 'Ow!' in a really high pitched voice, stopped playing with him, and left the room for about a minute-- just let him know that it was completely NOT okay for him to use teeth on me. When I came back I generally offered my hand to lick and gave lots of praise for 'being gentle'. For his teething, I soaked a rag in water and froze it before giving it to him, gave him some frozen teething toys, and gave him ice cubes to suck and chew on (they're still his favorite treat, lol). Having lots of different textures for him to chew was really helpful. :) Hope some of that helped! And don't worry, you'll be outta the teething stage soon!

Archived