BC Boards

Has anyone heard of this rescue?

Mad River Rescue in VT has contacted us at East TN Border Collie Rescue offering to take some of our dogs up there to adopt out. They say that they have a list of approved adopters that are waiting for dogs and that they can help open up spaces in other rescues.

It sounds a little suspicious but if they are on the up and up then it could be very helpful for us. Has anyone heard of or had any dealings with this group?

Thanks!

I just did Google searches on "Mad River Border Collie Rescue," "Mad River Rescue," and "Vermont Border Collie Rescue" and found nothing. There is a "Mad River Rescue" but they do swiftwater rescue training...nothing to do with dogs.

I hope someone else has happier news to share.

I don't know much, but I sent you a PM.

I know that Vt seems to be the home of the drop ship. She would take your dogs and adopt them out straight off the truck if she is like most. We often argue with adopters who want us to ship them dogs this way because "everyone does it"

We have drop shippers around us and It makes me feel uncomfortable due to the risk of illness. We were recently involved in an issue where a good shelter shipped a dog to another rescue it was adopted but the adopter called us that the dog was gravely ill. Tape worms @@.

They returned the dog to the shelter due to tape worms. What happens to the drop shipped dogs?

Hi Folks,

Just want to let you know that Mad River Rescue does exist. I met Katie this weekend doing a transport for another rescue. She is very sweet, and very dedicated. Her rescue is legitimate. I think you should give her a shot. Looks like Olivia has already said no - too bad, because Katie is one of the good guys.

Hi Dal - Please don't make general statements about VT rescues, it can be dangerous. I personally work with several rescues and they are top notch. We should all be working together to help dogs in need. It only takes a little bit of work to get info about a rescue - and it only takes a few words to trash someone's hard work and reputation. Thanks for your understanding. Jenn

I know that Vt seems to be the home of the drop ship. She would take your dogs and adopt them out straight off the truck if she is like most. We often argue with adopters who want us to ship them dogs this way because "everyone does it"

We have drop shippers around us and It makes me feel uncomfortable due to the risk of illness. We were recently involved in an issue where a good shelter shipped a dog to another rescue it was adopted but the adopter called us that the dog was gravely ill. Tape worms @@.

They returned the dog to the shelter due to tape worms. What happens to the drop shipped dogs?

Hi Dal - Please don't make general statements about VT rescues, it can be dangerous. I personally work with several rescues and they are top notch. We should all be working together to help dogs in need. It only takes a little bit of work to get info about a rescue - and it only takes a few words to trash someone's hard work and reputation. Thanks for your understanding. Jenn

I did not personally demean this rescue but, I find it strange that one rescue would contact another to ship their dogs to them. There are plenty of dogs in shelters that need homes right now we are turning away border collie mixes all over due to being smooth coat mixes(sad but, we have too many). Also are you denying there are many drop shippers in Vt? I must argue with someone at least once or twice a month that I am unreasonable not to ship my dogs to them in VT "everyone does it".

Once a dog has been in a rescue the original rescue has invested time and money in their dogs. Why give them to another rescue to adopt out unless it's a breed they dont deal with like the pointer brought to us by the local police. If the rescue had invested time and money in the dogs they also want to ensure they got good homes. How would a Tn get their dogs back if there was an unforseen problem?

I also want to mention that we get contacts usually from people hoping to foster for a breed specific rescue all the time trying to help us out by removing (for free) our highly adoptable (fill in the blank). That's after we funded vetting transport and had the dog a few weeks before placing it on petfinder.

I am always a little skeptical of rescues who contact other rescues and offer to take dogs off their hands. I feel as though it's kind of like brokering - the rescue who took the dogs should be committed to them in the first place, and the other rescue should be looking to help dogs in real need, not relocate dogs who are already safely in care.

I do not know from Katie or any rescues in VT, so this is not a comment on her / them - I just don't understand the logic in shuffling dogs from rescue to rescue, when there are so many other dogs who would like to be in rescue! I also don't understand how anyone can pre-approve applicants for dogs they do not personally know and have never met ... this sounds to me like filling dog sales for customers, not like rescuing dogs in need.

JMO.

RDM

I am always a little skeptical of rescues who contact other rescues and offer to take dogs off their hands. I feel as though it's kind of like brokering - the rescue who took the dogs should be committed to them in the first place, and the other rescue should be looking to help dogs in real need, not relocate dogs who are already safely in care.

I do not know from Katie or any rescues in VT, so this is not a comment on her / them - I just don't understand the logic in shuffling dogs from rescue to rescue, when there are so many other dogs who would like to be in rescue! I also don't understand how anyone can pre-approve applicants for dogs they do not personally know and have never met ... this sounds to me like filling dog sales for customers, not like rescuing dogs in need.

JMO.

RDM

Another thing is Petfinder is seeking to restrict listings for dogs not currently in the rescues home state foster home. Example you cant list a dog as currently in foster in Ky to arrive XX in Pa. So how can this person be taking applications for border collies?

Here locally people meet the adoption truck to pick up their pup from Al or La. I'm unsure what happens if things dont work out. I do know that some pups have died. We took back a dog today that's been a home with an previous adopter for 4 months they already had a dog from us for a year and they are fighting.

The arranged ky adoption through a Pa rescue that was returned for worms is sort of a problem. It's a bully breed and to get insurance in Pa most have to state they wont take them. I think they had to scramble for a private foster for the dog. Hopefully the dog wont be returned to KY.

I'm not actually saying this to directly insult the above rescue but, people need to realize this stuff is going on.

I live in Massachusetts, and I am familiar with dogs' being brought up from KY and TN. It's fairly common around here for local shelters to mainly take in bully mixes, which are not always a good mix for families. Shelters down south, which are full of houndy labby mixes, frequently ship dogs up here to be placed in a local shelter and adopted out. However, these dogs are shelter dogs: vetted and evaluated and with the expectation that they'll be returned to the shelter if things don't work out in the adopting home.

I would be very leery of someone who places dogs right off a truck. Is there money exchanged? What financial investment does the truck-driver have, other than picking up dogs and then taking money from them? What overall concern with the long-term welfare of the dogs?

Mary

Has anyone seen the show-Last Chance Highway? It was on Animal Planet for a season. Not sure if it is coming back. She pulls dogs from rural shelters in MS and places them in homes in the North East. They drive a trailer full of dogs up every week. New owners meet the the driver at one of several stops in several NE states.

Has anyone seen the show-Last Chance Highway? It was on Animal Planet for a season. Not sure if it is coming back. She pulls dogs from rural shelters in MS and places them in homes in the North East. They drive a trailer full of dogs up every week. New owners meet the the driver at one of several stops in several NE states.

If she is on animal planet then they have checked ehr out she must take back the dogs next transport if it doenst work out. I have seen her rig it looks great and the whole program looks nice. The problem is that they it gives people a false sense of security that everyone will be like that and it isnt the case.

These poeple meeting the trucks in my area are adopting from a "foster home in that state" my mom has accidently transported dogs for them for free (a 1 time accident helping out an unnamed rescue) that they then collected a transportation fee from the adopter in front of her and didnt offer her gas money.

They dont have a rescue area in their home or anything. They dont have a license in Pa.

Our local sister county is also doing it but, they have a holding facility to return the dogs to and a solid place to contact if something is wrong. My issue there is they are transporting in these dogs and then turning away strays and local dogs. No room.

So again I will state that if a dog is removed from Tn or Ky even directly form a shelter and hauled all the way to VT. What recourse is there if it's a problem? although We are unaware that it's happened to us a sister rescue had a dog turned in in upper MA to a shelter.

The people moved without notification then couldnt keep the dog took it to the local shelter they contacted the rescue. The best situation to be worked out was that the shelter provided info ont he adopter to the rescue.

People not in rescue have no idea how much crap has to be considered. I've had crazy people call me and tell me to meet them now 30 miles from my home or they were turning the dog out in the street. they then called crying they didnt mean it please let them have the dog back they did it to scare the kids into taking care of it.

Years ago I contacted a rescue that is about 3 hours from me to adopt a GSD that was hurt. I filled out the app, gave them my Vets Name, number and address, my Trainers Name, Number and address and 3 references of people that I have trained dogs with for 5 years! Noone from the rescue contactted me or any of my references. My phonecalls did not get returned.

After 4 weeks of this I gave up and got a dog from a breeder.

Six month later I found out by chance that the dog got adopted by a person in New York City. The dog was transported across the country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still wondering why I was never contacted by the rescue, I would have ben okay with being turned down. I also wonder how much money, time and effort could have been channeled to other needy dogs by saving the transport and adopting closer to where the dog was (dog was in New Mexico/Texas border)

My uncle got a lab from one of those trucks full of dogs. They live in Boston. It was their first dog ever and he wanted a rescue. Him and his wife researched breeds and decided on a lab. He's a stay at home computer programer and wanted a walking buddy and possible therapy dog. He contacted several groups and some group I had never heard of said "Sure! On blah blah day and time, meet the truck with the other adopters and pick up your dog".

What a disaster!!!! The first month was OK and then after several vet visits, behavioral lessons, obedience lesson and what ever else they tried, he ended up have to trap the monster in his kennel and calling the vet to put him to sleep. He was so out of control aggressive, the vet had to come to the house and sedate him in the kennel before he could put him down. Totally hardwired wrong and the "rescue" was suddenly REALLY hard to contact :angry: The dog was random;y violent, attacked out of no where and some horrible dispalced aggression problems.

He has since gone to a very nice rescue and adopted a really sweet BYOB breeder rescue from a bust. She is a doll and everything he ever wanted in a dog. I'm so happy his first rescue experience didn't sour him on the idea of adopting or get him seriously hurt.

Archived