BC Boards

I've been inspired.

Ejano... I have been watching with keen interest as you recount your stories. I have been afraid to attempt stock lessons, not because of the dog, I know she will probably ace all that, but because I was worried I wouldn't be able to move fast enough , have enough endurance, and in general, be able to keep up. I feel better than I have for the last few years, so... by golly, I gave Bridgett (her breeder & 1st mom) a call and we are going to try it Thursday afternoon! I probably will need lessons on how to behave around sheep, and how to read them before Bess ever gets to have any sheep...LOL!

Ejano... I have been watching with keen interest as you recount your stories. I have been afraid to attempt stock lessons, not because of the dog, I know she will probably ace all that, but because I was worried I wouldn't be able to move fast enough , have enough endurance, and in general, be able to keep up. I feel better than I have for the last few years, so... by golly, I gave Bridgett (her breeder & 1st mom) a call and we are going to try it Thursday afternoon! I probably will need lessons on how to behave around sheep, and how to read them before Bess ever gets to have any sheep...LOL!

Hey, I'm really happy for you! It really is wonderfully fulfilling, both for you and the dog. I've tried other sports throughout my life and partnerships with animals - horses in particular, but working with a Border Collie is something special. I've taken their intelligence for granted because we've always owned the breed - and I've been around farm dogs since the cradle, but working with sheep is very new to me. I've only had a few lessons so far myself - and I'm not moving all that fast either, so we'll be beginners together.

Looking forward to reports from "the field."

Liz

Today was Bess Dog's first day to be in a pen with sheep... she pretty much knew what to do! Was a little hesitant to get up and go after a down... but circled them nicely. She is left footed. Seems to take "pressure" well and handling well from someone other than me. She did a little 'wearing' also. She walked up on the sheep nicely. Apparently,she wears her emotions for all to see... her left ear gets cocked up when she is feeling confident. I have no picture to post as I was distracted... sorry, I really should have taken one or 2 for you. Video would be better! Maybe next time!

Archived