BC Boards

How long until she sleeps all night?

Our other dog is 12 and I don't remember much of the puppy stage. Sadie was born 12-17-10 and we have had her for 3 weeks. She sleeps next to our bed in a crate but she still wakes up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom plus she is up for good at 5:30 a.m. I feel like I have a newborn baby again! So how long until she can sleep all night? I pull her food at 6:00 p.m. and her water at 7:00 p.m. We usually go to bed around 9:30-10 p.m. Help! How long will this last???

My two girls....

CopieandSadie-1.jpg

Is she actually going that often? During the day too? Or just is she attention seeking? If she is pottying that often I'd have her checked for a UTI/puppy vaginitis. If she is cleared medically then you need to be sure you are slowly extending the time between outings so that she will eventually learn to hold it for a bit - if that is your goal. A rule of thumb is 1 hour for every month of age...but for me that has only applied during the daylight active hours. At night they sleep....& I decide when we are up for good :)

For some the goal is to have the dog learn to ask to go out whenever it needs to or wants to. My goal is to have the dogs go out on MY schedule (this automatically translates to asking if there is an emergency) & not ask go out to potty on every whim.

Sprite slept all night from day one at 8 weeks though she wasn't 100% reliable until about 1 year old- she never soiled her crate. A friend just got her first BC puppy at 8 weeks & he too slept all night even on the first night.

LOL- ask me again in a few months if/when I get my new pup- hopefully I will still have the same experiences!

HTH,

Archived