BC Boards

Salmonella

BCkris

Well it was confirmed my dog has salmonella. He is doing ok, just occasional soft stool but i sent some feces in for a diarrhea panel and sure enough positive for salmonella... sux. He does eat some raw for dinner mixed with kibble, he eats primal raw nuggets with his orijen. Im still in denial that he got it from the raw, but i have no defense.

Just thought id let anyone know in case you feed primal too. :(

There is salmonella everywhere....almost all canine and feline carry salmonella in their feces even when they are healthy. It is normal to carry it; When it gets too high is when the gut has trouble with it.

Don't blame yourself, it could have been 1) scavenging something outside...2) eating kitty sicles (or kitty cigars in warm weather)...3) something on the raw or kibble....4) something you just don't know where it came from

Cynthia

Just wanted to point out that mixing kibble with raw is not a great idea because of the different digestion rates. Any bacterial in the raw that wouldn't normally affect a dog may affect them if it's in their system for the long time that it takes for kibble to digest.

But, like Cynthia points out, he could have picked it up from many other places besides the raw.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been several salmonella outbreaks in kibble. Even in peanut butter, spinach, etc. Ingredients that may be in your dogs food. Don't stop the raw, it's good for 'em. ;)

I've heard the same thing about not mixing kibble with raw. Maybe if you waited 12 hours in between?? When you switch to raw you go cold turkey and don't slowly ween off the kibble.

I give my pups Orijen with Nature's Variety raw rabbit and bison nuggets. I haven't switched to a completely raw diet yet, but I'm studying and learning in hopes to do it soon.

My Vet (also my work place) somewhat scolded me on raw food and every vet i know is totally against it, but my dog LOVES the raw... so i have tried Honest Kitchen Force. He loves it just as much.... I really do not plan to feed raw 100% for his diet and kibble alone is very boring for him so I assume feeding the dehydrated food with kibble might be a little better for his digestion? opinions?

Thanks!

Archived