BC Boards

how did you know you were ready to trial?

Carlasl

From what I have been told by several judges, Sharon is against the practice of posting course maps because people freak out if a judge ends up changing something. NADAC courses are all about flow and sometimes when you walk an angle as it is set on paper it doesn't "feel" right, so the judge tweaks it. Most people wouldn't even notice it, but some people do sit and dissect every detail on a course map and have a meltdown if things change. ;)

NADAC courses in general don't tend to be terribly tricky and aren't very trappy. There don't tend to be a bazillion different handling options like you can see on some USDAA or AKC courses -- So basically, it's pretty easy to make your plan during an 8-10 minute walk-through.

I struggle with not having a map for Hoopers, though. I really need to visualize the tests instead of having the judge go through and point them out. I've never been told I can't look at a map once the course is set (if you ask nicely :D ).

I am also one who likes to take courses home and add them to my ever-growing course binder. That's why it's always nice to volunteer. Course-builders get copies of maps. B)

I can't read course maps ... I have a lot of difficulty translating what is on a piece of paper to what is in front of me in real life. Once my instructor asked me to set up the class course as he had to take phone call, and when he came back he laughed so hard I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Apparently, I read it completely, all over the place, wrong and he had to re-set up the whole course.

I am much more about walking the course myself to understand what I need to be doing. And I have three dogs who each run very differently, so my biggest challenge is walking it three different ways and cementing the three different things I have to do to successfully get around the course. My poor brain.

RDM

I find course maps useful if I'm late in the running order and I want to refresh my memory about my plan on the course.

I don't tend to have too much trouble, though, if I don't have one. I'll just watch a few people ahead of me run, and then I usually remember what I was planning to do. I generally find the maps handy, but I can get along fine without them, too.

• 2 weeks later...

It is unfortunate that NADAC doesn't provide course maps to exhibitors, as I know some people learn better that way. And sadly, it seems that they are even moving away from the practice of posting the maps somewhere on the trial grounds.

We never get course maps - or at least the only people who might get to see a copy posted are those who have qualified for major finals where there may only be a very few minutes actually to walk the course.

Judges don't have to have their courses approved beforehand.

At normal shows we walk the course together which can be a bit of a problem if there are 2-300 (or more) handlers in the class, especially if the course doubles back on itself. Best to wait until people drift away and you can see the numbers.

It's what you're used to I suppose. I can't imagine getting a feel for a course from a piece of paper.

And things do change on the day according to weather and ground conditions.

The other reason NADAC does not have course maps or post them on the site is that they allow day of entries, but once the course is set, or the map has been posted they have to close entries to the class. This stops cherry picking of courses. I love being able to enter day off, I usually enter regular and jumpers, then see if my partner is having a good day or not. Some trials we have run all 6 classes, others we have just done the 3, this way I am not tempted to push Brody pass his tolerance level and keep everything fun.

Course maps can be a double edged sword. I once arrived late to a trial and missed the walk through. As I have run courses from "off the map" before, I went and studied the posted map, got my dog and went to the ring. Upon entering the ring I headed for the first jump only to be stopped and told that "the start is over there", finger pointed to the other side of the ring. ?????? As I walked over to the start I knew something was wrong. I ran the course or, should say that I ran "a" course and left laughing. I went back to the map posted on the wall only to find that it was "yesterday's" course.....which I had run and never realized while looking at it! Check the dates on the course map....it helps

Archived