BC Boards

Teeth cleaning stuff?

Tommy Coyote

When Tommy had her bout with poly arthritis she ended up with some scar tissue in her jaw. She can open and close her mouth just fine and she has no problem eating but I need to keep her chewing to a minimum to protect her jaw. I don't want any more scar tissue build up.

So what do I do about keeping her teeh clean? Does it really work to brush their teeth with dog toothpaste? She would let me do that.

Has anyone tried the little finger thingies to clean teeth?

On a training list I am on, this product was recently discussed and several people saw significant results. In addition, a few were able to find the seaweed it is made of and use that instead for significantly less.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-resellers/product

I have not had a lot of luck brushing teeth, myself, the one dog I have whose teeth got gross fast is small and he hated it, I hated it and there still ended up being a lot of crap that needed professional removal to prevent gum issues.

My only other advice is to try to find non sticky food with minimum flours so the carbohydrate sticky stuff won't stick to her teeth so easily and try to get her to drink a lot of water. Were I you, I would feed a raw diet cut into small pieces so it could be safely minimally chewed and gulped, or at least canned food that has minimal starches and sugars.

We used a seaweed product similar to the one posted on an old dog who could no longer gnaw on bones, and it worked fairly well. She was a snarly old beast & brushing her teeth would have led to lost fingers. The seaweed didn't remove everything, but it vastly reduced her plaque build up. I don't remember the name of the actual product, but we got it at a local "all-natural" pet market.

On a training list I am on, this product was recently discussed and several people saw significant results. In addition, a few were able to find the seaweed it is made of and use that instead for significantly less.

http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-resellers/product

My supplier of sea vegetables doesn't have that (it does have two other, unrelated, sea vegetables that go under the name Kelp). A quick google session shows that Amazon does have the right sort (Ascophyllum nodosum) (See: http://www.amazon.com/Kelp-Atlantic-Granules-Ascophyllum-Botanicals/dp/B002DXXE64). I'm tempted to order some.

My supplier of sea vegetables doesn't have that (it does have two other, unrelated, sea vegetables that go under the name Kelp). A quick google session shows that Amazon does have the right sort (Ascophyllum nodosum) (See: http://www.amazon.com/Kelp-Atlantic-Granules-Ascophyllum-Botanicals/dp/B002DXXE64). I'm tempted to order some.

I am too, both for Mr. Yukky Mouth and to try it on myself. I end up needing dental cleanings 3x a year vs the usual 2 as I seem to have a propensity to build up plaque.

Hey, thanks for all the ideas. I'll look into them.

I'm afraid to feed raw to Tommy. I've been told that you should never feed raw to dogs with auto immune disorders. Which would kind of make sense if they were on immune suppressant drugs but she's not anymore. Both of my dogs eat California Natural.

Hey, thanks for all the ideas. I'll look into them.

I'm afraid to feed raw to Tommy. I've been told that you should never feed raw to dogs with auto immune disorders. Which would kind of make sense if they were on immune suppressant drugs but she's not anymore. Both of my dogs eat California Natural.

Oh that makes total sense and I would stick with cooked food for sure! What do her teeth look like after she eats, does she have brown food residue in her teeth? That what I would work to avoid by softening it or feeding canned, that sticky starchy brown food residue makes plaque very easily.

Archived