BC Boards

Puppies vs Adult Height/Weight

I've been searching the forum this morning as I know this has been brought up at least a dozen times... :rolleyes:

I have a 5 month (~ 21 weeks) bitch, currently 22lbs, that has a lot of bone and massive coat. Not sure entirely who she is out of, but she is from my herding trainers nice male dog. I would say he is roughly 21.5" and 48lbs with good bone and medium coat. I really love his personality and many of his traits.

I've had this bitch for about a week and am trying to decide if I want to buy her or not. Great personality, sweet as can be, not as much drive as my current working BC but I can build that...but curious as she seems quite big...I do agility first and foremost and work sheep as a hobby.

My current female is 18.75" and 29lbs. I got her at 12 months and she was fully grown (apart from being very underweight).

So my question: how big was your pup (height/weight) at 5 months vs full grown?

I've been searching the forum this morning as I know this has been brought up at least a dozen times... :rolleyes:

I have a 5 month (~ 21 weeks) bitch, currently 22lbs, that has a lot of bone and massive coat. Not sure entirely who she is out of, but she is from my herding trainers nice male dog. I would say he is roughly 21.5" and 48lbs with good bone and medium coat. I really love his personality and many of his traits.

I've had this bitch for about a week and am trying to decide if I want to buy her or not. Great personality, sweet as can be, not as much drive as my current working BC but I can build that...but curious as she seems quite big...I do agility first and foremost and work sheep as a hobby.

My current female is 18.75" and 29lbs. I got her at 12 months and she was fully grown (apart from being very underweight).

So my question: how big was your pup (height/weight) at 5 months vs full grown?

Hi I live in the atlanta area and have a male border collie.

I got him from a breerer in alabama when my pup was 6 weeks old.

He is now two years old. He is a rough coat black and white

and a joy to be hold.He is a very active. I also wonder if He is

too large. he is about 25" and his weifht is 70 lbs,all muscle no fat.

It will be interesting as to the replies you get. Don

I can't remember exactly what my dogs weighted at 5 months of age. I know their weights at 8 weeks and 12 weeks but that's it. She sounds like she is going to be a fairly big girl. I wouldn't think that would matter much in agility as long as you keep her nice and lean.

Wow, a 70# border collie! Are you sure he is 70# or are you guessing? I can't imagine a border collie, even a 25" tall one, that weighs that much! Can you post a picture? Are you certain he is a purebred?

I can't remember exactly what my dogs weighted at 5 months of age. I know their weights at 8 weeks and 12 weeks but that's it. She sounds like she is going to be a fairly big girl. I wouldn't think that would matter much in agility as long as you keep her nice and lean.

Wow, a 70# border collie! Are you sure he is 70# or are you guessing? I can't imagine a border collie, even a 25" tall one, that weighs that much! Can you post a picture? Are you certain he is a purebred?

The general rule of thumb is that you can double their weight at 5 months to get their approximate adult weight. Piper was 14 lbs at 5 months-ish and is now 28-30lbs (and just over 18" at the shoulder) depending on the time of year and how much exercise they are getting. Dex is still skinny as a rail at about 43lbs, but he was around 25 lbs at 5 months. When he is all filled out, he will easily be a 50lb dog (and just over 22" at the shoulder). I did not track the weights of my other pups, but the rule of thumb seems to generally approximate their adult size.

So you are going to get, I would guess, an average size female of about 40lbs full grown. I would not put too much stock in the size of the parents at a marker; Dexter is already bigger than both of his parents. His mother, in fact, is a smaller dog and all the pups turned out rather ginormous.

RDM

Hoot, Dexter's littermate, was about 27Lbs at 5.5 months. At 18 months, he's a lean 48 Lbs. By lean, I mean zero fat. You'd think that by eating me out of house & home (and freezer), he'd gain some weight, but he just moves more :) Hoot's 23" tall at the shoulder. He's huge- at 12 months, he was the biggest pup in the litter.

If she ends up around 40 lbs, I wouldn't consider her a large border collie. Most of my small(ish) females are in the 37-38-lb range.

I can't even picture a 70-lb border collie. My Maremma (LGD) probably weighs maybe 90 pounds and she's huge. To tell if he's overweight, just run your hands lightly down his rib cage. If you can't feel the ribs with a light touch, then the dog has a fat layer in there and is overweight.

J.

Hoot, Dexter's littermate, was about 27Lbs at 5.5 months. At 18 months, he's a lean 48 Lbs. By lean, I mean zero fat. You'd think that by eating me out of house & home (and freezer), he'd gain some weight, but he just moves more :) Hoot's 23" tall at the shoulder. He's huge- at 12 months, he was the biggest pup in the litter.

You keep talking about him, and yet I see no photographs (hint hint)!!

Here is Dex and brother Hoot a little over a year ago, when they were about 5.5 months old! Hoot looks smaller cuz he's crouching, but he was easily a size with Dexter at the time. Clearly, he is winning the "Giraffe" race now! Hoot has a little more bulk and bone than Dexter does, I think.

4343621685_42c2635610_z.jpg

RDM

Here's a picture of the puppy in question. I'd imagine she's at least 16.5" currently. If she tops out at 36-40lbs, I'm OK with that. It's if for some reason she ends up being 22"+ and 45lbs+.post-10631-084157200 1297871937_thumb.jpg

What a cutie. My address is.....

My guess would be 36 to 42lbs, which is not large for a bitch. I like to estimate adult size based on their weight at 16 weeks (double, to within 5 lbs).

Duncan 25 lbs, 44 lbs (FAT pup, didn't know any better)

Flyboy 27 lbs, 53 - 57 lbs (more during dog sledding season)

Freya 16.5 lbs, 33 lbs

Luna 20 lbs, 38 lbs

Sage 20 lbs, 44 lbs

Frankie 14 lbs, 37 lbs (very sick as a pup, nearly died)

Juniper 15 lbs, 26lbs @ 18 months (not done filling out)

Archived