BC Boards

Dry, brittle coat.

Lewis Moon

Our new foster has a really dry and brittle coat and he's losing a lot of guard hairs. He was always outdoors, so there was a lot of dust in there, but I think there must have been a bit of malnutrition too. Any suggestions on a course of treatment?

I'd say better diet is the best bet! If he's been eating doggie junk food, his system may react to higher quality food, so keep some pumpkin or shredded coconut on hand in case he gets diarrhea. But quality food, some fish/salmon oil, and maybe even a scrambled egg with his meal should begin to do the trick. :)

Cheers ~

Gloria

Sam, all three of my dogs came to me with coats that were in deplorable condition, much as you've described. It usually resolved on its own with better diet (and I'm guessing, diminished stress levels that come from being in a secure environment).

Last year Kit's coat became very dry and brittle from her shoulders back. I feared she was hypothyroid or possibly cushingoid, or had some other health issue going on. I had her blood work sent to Hemopet (Dr. Jean Dodds) and the results came back normal. So I started giving her 3000mg of fish oil daily. The improvement was so significant that my vet was amazed at her soft shiny coat the next time she saw her.

Thanks folks! Cerb gets fish oil every day so I'm starting Max on it too...as soon as he starts eating. No matter the temprament of the foster...none of them seems to want to eat for a day or two. Is there something topical I can use in the short term? A friend who is a groomer said she uses cheap hair conditioner. <_<;)

Sam, all three of my dogs came to me with coats that were in deplorable condition, much as you've described. It usually resolved on its own with better diet (and I'm guessing, diminished stress levels that come from being in a secure environment).

Last year Kit's coat became very dry and brittle from her shoulders back. I feared she was hypothyroid or possibly cushingoid, or had some other health issue going on. I had her blood work sent to Hemopet (Dr. Jean Dodds) and the results came back normal. So I started giving her 3000mg of fish oil daily. The improvement was so significant that my vet was amazed at her soft shiny coat the next time she saw her.

I get all sorts of compliments on Cerb's coat and I firmly believe it's the fish oil. I flip him a tablet every morning when I'm taking mine. He gobbles them like candy.

I just have to stay away from Cruella DeVille.

If the coat is clean and unsmelly, and not tangled, brushing regularly with a nice soft bristle brush if hes shortish coated or a zoom groom if hes not will expedite the damaged dry fur falling out and the body oils from distributing...and its a pleasant bonding activity as well that many dogs find comforting...its massage-y.

Thanks folks! Cerb gets fish oil every day so I'm starting Max on it too...as soon as he starts eating. No matter the temprament of the foster...none of them seems to want to eat for a day or two. Is there something topical I can use in the short term? A friend who is a groomer said she uses cheap hair conditioner. <_<;)

I LOVE Essential 6. It has a lovely fresh clean scent & makes even the softest coats just that much softer.

Archived