BC Boards

Cartrophen injections

Kyna

Hi all,

Isla will be 14 in October and is showing discomfort in her back and her front left 'wrist' - she has spondylosis in her back and reduced mobility in her front left wrist. We have reduced the duration of her walks - she has been on glucosomine for years - and when the pain is acute we give her Metacam. She also has a joint complex food mixed in with her senior food. We started subdermal Cartrophen injections 4 wks ago and - this week will be her 4th and then we are to start monthly injections.

My concern is that I don't really see an impact. She is a stoic dog so I don't know... Any thoughts to pro's or con's for continuing the shots?

Thanks,

Kyna

"Cartrophen is a pale yellow, sterile liquid solution. Contained in each mL of Cartrophen are 100 mg of Pentosan Polysulphate Sodium, .01 mL of Benzyl Alcohol used as a preservative, 2.2 mg of Sodium Phosphate and 6.8 mg of Sodium Acid Phosphate both acting as buffers. "

http://www.ehow.com/about_5538312_side-effects-cartrophen.html

MTDogs,

That is a good way to look at it - it is ~$11/mo and we can administer it at home so we are going to go ahead with long-term treatment.

It is difficult watching these beautiful creatures experience pain but my favourite dogs are old dogs.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

K