BC Boards

Ace at 5 months!

Those are some awfully bold statements. Of course there are people who ignorantly run their pups into the ground, but you can't tell from these pics that that is the case here. And a little fetch now and then is no more dangerous than the regular running, jumping, wrestling, and playing that a pup does on their own. Quite possibly less so.

I also did not see a single photo of the dog jumping for anything, so not sure where that comment is coming from.

There are photos of the pup leaping through the air after a frisbee.

Do some reading in veterinary journals and text books on HD, OCD and other joint diseases of dogs. Specifically focus on the information about key growth periods and exercise.

Perhaps you could point me to the article that says 4-5 disc tosses at 5 months of age WILL damage a pup's joints? And also explain what type of exercise IS appropriate.

The dog's front paws were off the ground in a few of the pictures. That is not "leaping through the air."

Mark, personally, I think that level is fine. You shouldn't be busting out 80-yard throws, but there's no way you're getting anywhere near that kind of distance with the floppy flier. I would watch that your tosses are straight and low though. I compete in disc with my dogs and everybody plays with their puppies--in small doses at low levels. Of course there is risk of injury with any activity for any dog (particularly a puppy because their bodies are still developing) but that doesn't mean we keep them in a crate all their lives.

Perhaps you could point me to the article that says 4-5 disc tosses at 5 months of age WILL damage a pup's joints? And also explain what type of exercise IS appropriate.

The dog's front paws were off the ground in a few of the pictures. That is not "leaping through the air."

Mark, personally, I think that level is fine. You shouldn't be busting out 80-yard throws, but there's no way you're getting anywhere near that kind of distance with the floppy flier. I would watch that your tosses are straight and low though. I compete in disc with my dogs and everybody plays with their puppies--in small doses at low levels. Of course there is risk of injury with any activity for any dog (particularly a puppy because their bodies are still developing) but that doesn't mean we keep them in a crate all their lives.

I read the message before this post. Thank you!

I advise all my clients with puppies that free play with similar sized dogs is fine but that they should not allow or encourage their young pups to jump into the air to catch frisbees, balls and other toys. They should also not allow them to go flying off of decks, furniture, etc.

It is your puppy to do with as you wish and I can only offer caution.

Zak George (of Super Fetch "fame" and used to compete in competitive disc events) actually just addressed this in a video today. Not deeply, and he didn't say, "No frisbee at all until they are 1 1/2 to 2 years," but he does advise to take it easy and limit jumping until a year and a half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRen8q3Hno&feature=feedu

But as others have said -- Hey, it's your dog. If you really want to take the risk of short-term OR long-term injury, go for it.

take it easy and limit jumping until a year and a half.

should not allow or encourage their young pups to jump into the air to catch frisbees, balls and other toys.

Well, these are vastly different positions than the extremes you both immediately jumped to.

I'm terribly sorry you thought, "But really, you should not be throwing discs that encourage or allow him to jump at this age.... " is EXTREME .

:blink::rolleyes::blink:

I stuck with rollers for the first year, but do as you will. Obviously nothing said here will change the mind of the OP or Ninso.

I watch Zak George videos daily and saw this one earlier this morning. I also spoke to Zak before about playing frisbee with a young pup. His response was, "frisbee is fine, just not too much jumping." Honestly, besides jumping I don't think short frisbee sessions are any different from when my dog chases other dogs and makes sharp turns while doing so. And I'm not going to keep my dog from playing with other dogs at the dog park. My vet said my dog can play frisbee as long as I make low throws and my trainer's border collie started playing frisbee at 4 months and is now 12 years old and is still playing frisbee. My dog excels extremely well at obedience and tricks and is the best in his class even though he is the youngest. Obedience and trick training do not tire my dog out in the least bit.. And so if he doesn't get to run around for an hour a day at least he becomes very unhappy. With an hour or so of training then an hour of excercise you would swear my dog is a couch potato at night because he's got a very good "off switch" when he's been allowed to expend some energy. He loves his kennel and goes into it on command. He is in his kennel about 3-4 hours a day while I am in class. So I don't see the difference between my dog playing frisbee or just running in circles for fun. And I see no way of letting my dog release some energy other than letting him play at the dog park, play frisbee, or play fetch with a ball... Any other ideas would be appreciated but I honestly get the idea from the comments above that any type of excercise can or will damage my dogs joints.

There is a lot of foundation agility work that can be done with puppies to tire them out both mentally and physically.

Restrained recalls

circle work

sends around cones

sends around other objects

running recalls after sending

tug work

wobble boards

plank work

handling on the flat

tunnels

jumps with no bars

etc.