BC Boards

Red Zone Dog

Debbie Meier

Debbie, the few months that I understood anything specific about population genetics were decades ago. I do not recall the models and equations requiring named individuals. Denise generously provided the beginnings of a theory. Trying to use that theory for guidance regarding a potential superstar is asking for trouble. The theory isn't about identifying individual superstars. Have you read her initial posts on the subject?

We know there are effective flanks and flanks that for various reasons in a particular situation don't work so well. You're asking for a check list for hitting a target in terms of potential before training or during training? I think I have seen a few. Try phrasing the question in terms of what makes a great dog: If you had a great dog or what you thought might become a great dog, what would you do? That question at least respects the intent of the target analogy's author.

Penny

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In response to the original post... Who knows ... I'll never know...because I responsibly spayed my dog when I got her, as I have been indoctrinated to do...How did I know I would actually want to use her for herding someday... I bought her from good lines because I read here I should. I read I should neuter if I wasn't on a farm and going to use her for working and trialing and "prove" her breeding rights. So, I had a dream of teaching her to herd ducks... never knew folks actually did that until I read it here. Maybe I'm catching the bug now that my dog has been on sheep and goats. Maybe my health will squash it... but I don't think a spayed dog will ever be a bull's eye dog... and I was only trying to do the right thing. After all... it sounds like breeding is what people are ultimately thinking about when they are talking a bull's eye dog.

A "bulls eye dog" describes ability and is not affected by being altered. These are the goal of a good breeding program. If you were lucky enough to get one, enjoy it, learn from it, and let the breeder know because their breeding program had success.

Archived