BC Boards

Herding Boxer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Pip's instinct test, we walked into the pen with the judge and 3 sheep. The judge told me to drop the lead and run toward the sheep encouraging Pip to chase them. The judge had a long reed that she used to redirect Pip so she did not get too close to the sheep by placing it in front of her nose. There were no harsh corrections in other words! I was told to simply encourage Pip to keep chasing and to let her know she was a "good girl" over and over throughout the test. High prey driven or toy motivated Boxes will do very well! Their "interest" in the sheep and their trainability are the main characteristics judged. They are not expected to know how to move sheep...they should just want to try to!

Jaw on floor. Is this how they test for "instinct" in Border Collies, too?

So, please come and give your Boxer the chance to participate in, well, history, and receive a certificate for their efforts. The testing will take place on 12/27 at Action K9 Sports in Escondido, Ca. The link above has directions and a downloadable PDF to pre-register. There will be limited spots available, so please send in your registration as soon as you can.

The Boxer Club of San Fernando Valley is sponsoring this first US instinct test and will issue a lovely certificate signed by the herding judge and the president of BCSFV. Terry Parrish (AKC and AHBA herding judge) will be conducting the instinct tests and said to remind all of us that there is no experience required for a herding test.

That would be the sheep used for the "Trial" the Boxer ran in (well, it use to be I assume she's still putting on "The Highland games" ... I've never gone).

The judge had a long reed that she used to redirect Pip so she did not get too close to the sheep by placing it in front of her nose.

This thread must be getting too long for me. I read this and (seriously), wondered why the judge would be placing the "reed" in front of her own nose?? What was the point of that? :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway...

High prey driven or toy motivated Boxes will do very well! Their "interest" in the sheep and their trainability are the main characteristics judged. They are not expected to know how to move sheep...they should just want to try to!

Somebody puh-leeze tell me why toy motivated boxers will do very well? My Will (BC, not a boxer) is very toy motivated. He, however, has about zilch working instinct! Although, according to what was posted, he would probably still "pass" the test. <_<

This thread must be getting too long for me. I read this and (seriously), wondered why the judge would be placing the "reed" in front of her own nose?? What was the point of that? :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway...

Somebody puh-leeze tell me why toy motivated boxers will do very well? My Will (BC, not a boxer) is very toy motivated. He, however, has about zilch working instinct! Although, according to what was posted, he would probably still "pass" the test. <_<

Have to agree, You thought the judge put a reed infront of her nose (maybe she should do that instead of the dogs nose)

and I thought you meant there were now "toy" boxers out there.

:blink::blink:

Anyway...

BWA HA HA HA HA. Great visual and it's probably somewhere in the "rule book".

ETA - Chapter 3, pg. 24, para.2 in rule book says --- when judge places reed in front of her/his nose, handler does a run out with dog at the sheep, throwing toys and encouraging dog's interest with praise and lots of treats and squeaky toys. Failure to do so will result in an NQ for this portion of the herding instinct test.

Me -- no, really. That's what it says!

Yes let's all reward our dogs, one and all, and encourage them to get turned on to wanting to chase livestock! Then maybe we can have even more incidents like this.

That will surely make a great impression on ranchers and livestock owners that "a good dog" is just what they need.

*headdesk*

Archived