BC Boards

Working Border Collies Online

Maybe its just because I read this late last night and now early this morning. I'm sure you are just assuming my customers have seen agility dogs or dogs running AKC courses which they think equates to "real" work?

Actually I doubt very many of my customers have seen either. My statement was in answer to this.

I was stating that people do still know what the Border Collie is being used for today.

And just to clarify, I have never done agility nor have I ever trialed in AKC. I did try an ASCA trial one time though. Most of my trialing has been at the Pro-novice level.

Sorry wasn't "aimed" at you ... I meant all the "performance" web sites that state "They always "test" their dogs to make sure they keep the "working instincts" (meaning their dogs have done AKC trials or have "run around" sheep to PROVE they keep the "work" in the breed).

Sorry wasn't "aimed" at you ... I meant all the "performance" web sites that state "They always "test" their dogs to make sure they keep the "working instincts" (meaning their dogs have done AKC trials or have "run around" sheep to PROVE they keep the "work" in the breed).

I completely agree with you on this point!

Just an FYI..Corrie Dhu kennel in the UK will no longer import dogs to the US...she unfortunetly made the mistake of selling an intact dog to somebody supposedly using the dog for work, not knowing they were a well known sport breeder...the dog ended up being owned and used as stud to a popular obedience/agility/flyball kennel...then was sold again...and sold again after he became to "herdy"....so won't import anymore over here after that...

I think some kind of working breeder directory would be fantastic...

I am sure there is a thread on it..but what would the criteria be for such a list?? To me it should be made from dogs/handlers competing in open trials with some success or showing that either the dog or handler has the talent to do so...

L and M stockdogs are an excellent choice...fieldstone also will sell to AKC home with a spay/neueter type contract...I know some excellent breeders as well in ND, MN and Wisc...

I assume your talking about Corrie?

Last I heard the poor guy had been sold and was living in Arizona.

What a shame, because she is one of the only people I know that has "candy colored" Border Collies that actually are capable of herding.

Yup...it twas poor Corrie....bred because of his coat color then sold because he was to "herdy"...

She did seem to have nice dogs...and worked herself as a contract shepherd...she has bred some nice dogs including Louann Twa's Isla who is a helluva nice open merle bitch...Scott Glen is trialing 2 of her pups in nursery this year...I've seen another at some of the local trials, nice dog..

Archived