BC Boards

Dog shaking his head!

borderfreak

Hey guys, since over three weeks Bo's always shaking is head. I checked it, nothing to see, so at first I gave him pain relieving ear drops, and it got better (at least I'd imagine that). After the five-days treatment the shaking got back after a couple of days so I got him to the vet. He checked ears (even with a little video cam in the ears) and couldn't find anything. No inflammations, no parasites or any abnormalities. But the shaking doesn't stop. Sometimes maybe one or two days without, but most days he does every other hour. He holds his head crooked sometimes as well. Any idea what that could be?

OK this will sound very, very odd but have the anal glands expressed and see if that helps. Amazingly enough there is some kind of correlation that I have never been able to figure out but a couple vets I know suggested that a few backs for constant head shaking and it worked. I know strange.

Has the mouth been checked?

A few months ago my 12 yo BC started shaking her head and falling over. She also fell when she sneezed or turned very quickly. My primary vet determined it was not vestibular syndrome and it didn't appear to be an inner ear infection, and suggested I take her to a neurologist, which I did. After many tests and plenty of bloodwork, they found nothing - no signs of an inner ear infection or anything - except she was still shaking her head and falling. On a whim, I asked them to run a 4DX (she had been negative just a few months earlier), and sure enough she was anaplasma positive. After just a few days on doxycycline she stopped falling. After the full course of doxy, she still occasionally shakes her head, but no longer falls.

This is not a typical symptom of anaplasmosis, so maybe it's a complete coincidence, and the doxy helped to clear up some low-grade infection that didn't show up on her blood work. But, I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Yeah, maybe that was the problem and just needed some days until it finally worked. Btw his vet did not expressed his glands 'cause he knows about any connection, it was just accident that he did this, 'cause I told him Bo always rubbing his booty on the ground without having worms.

Archived