BC Boards

Walking on leash

I am trying to teach my 3 yr old BC to walk on a leash. She does pretty well for a few steps, but then wants to walk ahead of me...or she wants to go in circles on the leash or!!!! I am taking her for training, but it's hard to get this girl to walk calmly next to me. I have tried slow calming circles, and giving treats behind me (to the side), but as you know...she's not really food motivated. This girl is bright, but I'm not getting the message across or something. Is it because of too much "off leash" time? I would appreciate your tips!

I am not clear from your post what it is you want. Do you want the dog to learn to do a formal heel? Do you want the dog to walk on a loose leash, but somewhere at your side instead of in front of you? Is she pulling on the leash, or just trotting along nicely but ahead of you?

--D'Elle

I am not clear from your post what it is you want. Do you want the dog to learn to do a formal heel? Do you want the dog to walk on a loose leash, but somewhere at your side instead of in front of you? Is she pulling on the leash, or just trotting along nicely but ahead of you?

--D'Elle

[/quote

I am not looking for a formal heel...just to walk quietly on a loose leash by my side. I forgot to add that she is a rescue, but I've had her about a year now, with no luck at walking on a leash. She does pull sometimes, or is just "excited" and not walking calmly. If we are walking at home in the neighborhood, she seems nervous; pulls ahead, or circles on the leash next to me. But mostly when we are at our horse stable, she is excited and wants to go faster, or run, or do something other than walk calmly with me. ]

I finally got Ruby to walk on a loose lead at the age of 5 1/2 using Helix Fairweather's technique. Here is a link to the videos:

http://www.vimeo.com/user2884785/videos/sort:date

They are not listed in order, so be sure you watch/use them in the proper order. Fantastic.

Kathy Robbins

These are very helpful, but Nova is not very interested in treats, like Jack is in these videos...but it's certainly worth a try. I really liked the one where she transitions from going backward to forward...keeps the dog in the right place at her side. Thanks!

This seems like a nice article

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/leash-walking/

and I've heard good things about the silky leash method.

Personally I like to use a head halter in with clicker training. But I wouldn't advice to use it if you don't know how to properly. Google it!

Thanks for the tips!

Figure out what does turn Nova on and use that instead of food. A toy? A pet? Verbal praise? Whatever works for an individual dog is what you should use. Most dogs respond to food, and that is why these methods are demonstrated using treats. This what I find so fascinating about dog training. It can be different with every dog!

Kathy Robbins

Archived