BC Boards

Super ultra smelly yummy high value treats

OT:

Anyone else ever get a pocket chewed out of a pair of jeans from an unattended laundry basket? Find a layer of petrified kibble dust in the pocket of jeans you just pulled out of the dryer?

Just think; a year and a half ago I was a cat person.

Yes and Yes! LOL Jeans don't have to be unattended for Gyp to try to chew the pocket out. Have a few jackets with holes in the pockets too. And nothing like the surprise of finding a piece or 2 of stone hard pieces of hotdog in newly washed jeans :o

The main reason I'm thinking about a pouch with a stiff plastic liner is that ziplocks don't lend themselves to rapid action treat dispensing. I'm always reaching into a pocket only to find the bag folded over....and Cerb rolling his eyes and tapping his paw, waiting for me to get stuff straightened out.

OT:

Anyone else ever get a pocket chewed out of a pair of jeans from an unattended laundry basket? Find a layer of petrified kibble dust in the pocket of jeans you just pulled out of the dryer?

Just think; a year and a half ago I was a cat person.

Yep, had the same things happen.......and worse, my nice Demo bag with all the paw prints I painted on it so carefully and Jester's name in script, to hold all his stuff when we go do a Freestyle performance..........chewed through from one side to the other........Well, I never forgot the treat bag in there again.

By the way, I do not worry so much about getting the treat to Jester so fast. Once he gets his click he knows the treat is coming......the click marks it for him more than the treat does. And I have found it pays to work on delayed gratification, because he is a performance dog and I do not want to treat him during a performance. I personally think it's a good idea to let the dog learn patience about getting his treats. Sometimes they are not in my pocket even when we are training. I will put them somewhere else like the kitchen counter, and when he gets the click we go there and get the treat.

--D'Elle

I hate bait bags but when I am working on a new behavior and I want quick access for rewards (because yes the click acts as a bridge but its still beneficial to deliver teh treat as quick as possible after the click) I go with a french hinge bag. Nothing beats the fingertip open and close.

15-lg__.jpg

I hate bait bags but when I am working on a new behavior and I want quick access for rewards (because yes the click acts as a bridge but its still beneficial to deliver teh treat as quick as possible after the click) I go with a french hinge bag. Nothing beats the fingertip open and close.

15-lg__.jpg

Those are like the chalk bag I use when I climb. Just a twist of the wrist and and it's open. Here it is.

I've used all the treats previously mentioned. None had the reaction that my dog had for Fresh Pet Bites (in the refrigerator in the pet aisle of many chain grocers). My dog went nuts just for the residual smell of it on a friend's hands when she walked by. Although YMMV, everyone I've talked to who uses it has had pretty much the same reaction from their dog(s). Give it a try.

Sugarfoot loves dried sardines. I get them at Ranch 99, the Asian supermarket. They have natural, unsalted ones. Break 'em in half. Yum! They weigh nothing and if you keep 'em in a ziploc bag you can tote 'em around for days. If you don't keep 'em in a ziploc bag folks may think there's something fishy about you.

I keep a big bag of 'em in the freezer, and really, they don't smell all that fishy. (But if you know any Huskies, prepare to get mugged.)

Sugar also will do anything for a lettuce core - but that's not too practical, I suppose.

That seems to be about 4 or 5 votes for the Natural Balance food rolls.

Anyone ever drench their treats in salmon oil or other stinky oil? Retaining the stench on my treat hand could be a plus....

I have also use the food rolls as treats and to make the bits even more interesting, work in a little braunschweiger (liverwusrt). That makes them a bit messy, but really smelly and irresistible.

Those are like the chalk bag I use when I climb. Just a twist of the wrist and and it's open. Here it is.

I think thats probably where the idea came from originally. If chalk bags are cheaper, go fer it, although dog bait bags are usually lined with something waterproof.

I think its a worthy investment. Training is so much easier when you have good tools to do the job.

I have also use the food rolls as treats and to make the bits even more interesting, work in a little braunschweiger (liverwusrt). That makes them a bit messy, but really smelly and irresistible.

Liverwurst is a highly valued treat that I am currently using for distracted recalls with the 8 month old puppy. I find its simple to cut a roll in 1/2 and drop it in a food tube which I can then squeeze and dispense very easily without having to touch the liverwurst. Also, since liverwurst is fatty and rich, it helps me control it to deliver "just a dab" as a reward so he doesn't get sick. Its easy to slip the tube in my pocket too. I got two washable, reusable food tubes for about $5 at REI.

696007Lrg.jpg

Anyone ever drench their treats in salmon oil or other stinky oil? Retaining the stench on my treat hand could be a plus....

I haven't done that and probably wouldn't. I have taken bits of raw meat and then seared them so the outside is cooked, but the inside is still raw. That cuts down on the mess factor, but creates a super high value treat. I have only done that on a handful of occasions where something super high value was needed. Generally speaking, if I need something that high value, I am going to cut my criteria way back instead.

I think thats probably where the idea came from originally. If chalk bags are cheaper, go fer it, although dog bait bags are usually lined with something waterproof.

I think its a worthy investment. Training is so much easier when you have good tools to do the job.

Chalk bags are cheaper in that I have several in my Big Tub O' Gear. I'll find a plastic bottle with the right dimensions to line it. Damn...I could be on one of them cable Craft Shows...

Archived