BC Boards

Training Opportunities in Arizona

starbuck

Starbuck: Howdy, neighbor! I don't know about herding lessons because I've never looked into it. But I would love to take Beck sometime to see if she has any aptitude whatsoever. I've only seen her do "the eye" once, and that was with a GSD who was chasing a ball at the dog park last week.

Jennifer, Nogales is about a 3 hour drive from the Phoenix Metro area.

There are a couple of stock dog trainers in the Prescott tri-city area. I know one personally, but don't know enough to evaluate how she is at stock dog training. She will do an evaluation on your dog at no charge. If you'd like more info, let me know and I'll get it to you.

Can I ask, what kind of herding lessons are you interested in, or rather -- do you have any particular stockdog/herding philosophies that you gravitate towards, or ones you wish to avoid?

I am in Arizona, near Scottsdale, and I know of a few people who do herding of one kind or another, give lessons, offer sheep time, or both. The nearest would be Queen Creek if they're still open to that sort of thing. More likely you would have to go to Chino Valley or Mayer. Each situation is different, you would have to make the contact and inquire, then try it and decide if it works for you and your dog(s). The best training (in my opinion) would be in Sonoita, but I have no idea if she's open to training beginners, and never got a response from her to my inquiries. I know she's busy and works hard with her own dogs.

Being here has been very bad for my herding hopes. I don't seem to be able to get responses from anyone, maybe they're all too busy. Maybe. Or maybe I say things in my inquiries that make them want to avoid me.

The long heat makes it difficult also. The best trainer/handlers in the state focus most of their time working and running their own dogs I think. At least one had an intern that gave the beginner & intermediate lessons, wouldn't get involved until you became more advanced. Don't know if that's still the case.

I've had an idea for quite awhile, suggested by many others in many different places, but I've not found anyone to propose it to until now. I'm sure you've noticed some decent large fenced fields around the area, like up along east Bell Rd., several places around NE Phx. & Scottsdale -- even down along about 12th St. & Missouri and those places that used to be citrus orchards down in there. Most of them are horse properties or large acreages that have somehow managed to stay large amidst all the subdividing. If anyone is interested in exploring the possibility of going in together and renting a field or fields, procuring some stock to care for and work with, I would love to hear from you. Now would be good with cooler weather coming in a month or so.

I'd love to hear from you anyway, just to know there's someone else nearby that's interested in herding is encouraging. Feel free to email me. I've been here 2 years and been to stock only twice -- mainly just to remind my dog of who she is.

Hope to hear from you all.