BC Boards

Dual Registering

D Strickland

My best LGD has AKC papers....however I went to the ranch and saw the parents, grandparents and great grandparents working guarding Buffalo and other livestock, I was sold.....no show lines. Best LGD that I ever got. She bred her dogs for work and Kodi has proved his merit many times over. She guarantee her pups too.

I got him fixed before he came here. Kodi is ten years old now and bounces around like a puppy.

Some of my pups that I sold run in AKC agility, however as part of the deal, they were fixed if they wanted to obtain the AKC papers. If anyone showed any interest in conformation, no deal. Some have done AKC herding then have come over to the USBCHA side.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sh** happens !!!

OK, you answered (sort of) one part of my original questions you seem to have missed so here is post #3

If you had no plans to breed WHY do you have pups? Was it an oops litter? If ABCA registered will you put them on NB papers so any that go into AKC will not be eligible for pups being registered with ABCA?

Dave ... c'mon Dave ...

How can you say ... "This is just another reason why I didn't want to breed, and have never bred in the past..." when on Facebook in November you said: "After trying to breed my dog for the last 2 years she finally tied with my newest dog. She never tied before, AI never worked, taking her somewhere else didn't work. Guess I'll find-out in 5 weeks or so. I've never bred a dog in my life." What's with all the flip-flopping? This isn't like you, Dave.

Dave ... c'mon Dave ...

How can you say ... "This is just another reason why I didn't want to breed, and have never bred in the past..." when on Facebook in November you said: "After trying to breed my dog for the last 2 years she finally tied with my newest dog. She never tied before, AI never worked, taking her somewhere else didn't work. Guess I'll find-out in 5 weeks or so. I've never bred a dog in my life." What's with all the flip-flopping? This isn't like you, Dave.

Jodi? Are you a librarian??? :P

Dave ... c'mon Dave ...

As I told you before ... I never wanted to breed - been saying that for over 20 years - but did plan to breed this one dog, one time. I knew it would be a pain in the a** and that I would take a lot of flack from the "elitist" USBCHA dog handlers because her pedigree wasn't right and I had not gone to Nationals with her and blah and blah ....

I flip-flopped a lot because of her AKC pedigree but after being told by non-AKC people and USBCHA people that don't compete in AKC that I should breed her .. I decided to. I wanted a dog for myself and now I have it. I bought dogs from top handlers and wasn't impressed so I bred my own dog.

Will I ever breed again .. probably not ... Will I ever run in USBCHA Nationals ... probably not - not enough time or money .... Will I have good working dogs .... HELL YA ...

For me it's about how a dog works ... not a title, not winning a class at some trial, and surely not a pedigree. I love the way she works and love the way Dollar works ... so I tried it... Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

As I told you before ... I never wanted to breed - been saying that for over 20 years - but did plan to breed this one dog, one time.

Will I ever breed again .. probably not ...

From your website:

"i only breed when i want a puppy for myself

*** next litter is planned for 2013 or 2014."

From your website:

I put that on there so that people don't think that I'm a breeder.

Like I said .... I never wanted to breed, I wish I could've found a dog I liked so I didn't have to breed, and breeding is a pain in the a** not only for all the work it entails but also because of all the people that believe I have to answer to them or some higher power.

If this litter works out like I hope I may repeat the breeding in 3 years or so .... but I really hope not.

... and again we're off topic again.

This topic was about how to keep the ACK out of the picture for registering. Between Eileen's contract and the NB on the ABCA papers I will be able to accomplish that.

If anyone wants to discuss something else you will have to send me an email. I am going out of town and will have my Blackberry so I can receive/send emails but I won't be getting on this list.

Thanks for all your help

What!? Do you even read what your fingers type!?

That means you're a breeder.

Definitely passed the point of ridiculousness.

... and again we're off topic again.

This topic was about how to keep the ACK out of the picture for registering. Between Eileen's contract and the NB on the ABCA papers I will be able to accomplish that.

See, that's the thing Dave. I don't think it was ever about that. I think what it was about was your attempt to rationalize dual registering your dog by portraying it as some super devious strategy to bring down the AKC.

If you really wanted to keep the AKC "out of the picture for registering", you just wouldn't register your dogs with them, wouldn't judge their trials, or give them your entry fees, or help them start clubs

Viz. post 1 in this thread

I have to re-iterate that I am only playing Devil's Advocate here. I started with USBCHA trial and my first trial was under Glyn Jones ... and I am extremely proud of that.

I crossed over to the "dark side" about 3 years ago to see how the other half lived. I helped start a BC club, an AKC club, and an ASCA club. I trialled in AKC, ASCA, AHBA but came back to USBCHA because I didn't like what I saw with the other programs.

My question is ...... Should we dual register with AKC and place a breeding restriction on the puppies since that appears to be the only way to stop the AKC from using ABCA working dogs in their breeding programs.

First of all, no one becomes an AKC judge, starts an AKC club, and trials AKC to "see how the other half lives". Reading AKC boards and going to a couple of trials chatting with people there could accomplish that. I suspect you did it for the same reasons as anyone else did. You either got personal satisfaction from it, or it was to your personal advantage in some way. Either way, I don't care but don't make it out to be some undercover espionage project.

Now you have a litter on the ground from your AKC-registered LockEye bred bitch and a dog that could well be dual-registered. I suspect you want to dual register the pups, probably because you'll get two or three times the price for the them (LockEye charges $1200 for pups not on a 'no breed' contract and $1000 with a 'no breed' clause whereas $400 is all you'd likely get for ABCA registered pups).

So, either you are being disingenuous and wasting all of our time, or you really haven't been paying attention here. Giving you the benefit of the doubt:

No. Dual registering your dogs ABCA/AKC, even with a no breed contract, will do nothing to keep working dogs out of the AKC. What it will do is put money in the coffers of the AKC with which they can continue to promote themselves as the authority on Border Collies. So, please don't do it.

Like I said .... I never wanted to breed, I wish I could've found a dog I liked so I didn't have to breed, and breeding is a pain in the a** not only for all the work it entails but also because of all the people that believe I have to answer to them or some higher power.

If this litter works out like I hope I may repeat the breeding in 3 years or so .... but I really hope not.

I am just amazed at what this guy writes. He contradicts himself in the same sentence. And he's done this over and over. "Playing devil's advocate" is just plain BS. Just my opinion, but I don't think this guy really wants to learn anything. I think his whole reason for posting any of this stuff is to advertise himself as a breeder and maybe get buyers for his puppies.

D'Elle

I think his whole reason for posting any of this stuff is to advertise himself as a breeder and maybe get buyers for his puppies.

Yup. And I'm sure he's making an impression on lots of people...though perhaps not quite in the way he thinks he is...

D, on 25 January 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

I think his whole reason for posting any of this stuff is to advertise himself as a breeder and maybe get buyers for his puppies.

Yup. And I'm sure he's making an impression on lots of people...though perhaps not quite in the way he thinks he is...

Which is why this thread is not entirely ridiculous... A lot of people will see it.

Archived