BC Boards

What's on my dogs face???

shysheperdess

My 6 year old dog has some kind of sore growing on his face..in between his eyes..I have never seen anything like it and I am in the medical profession...

It started as a small bump..under his fur in between his eyes...within 2 days all the fur has fallen off of it and it is a weeping, sore about the size of a quarter....it's weeping a clear fluid and bleeds slightly at times...it's not an abrasion it seems....it won't scab over..it appeares there is fluid underneath as it is a raised sore...it looks awful..

His temp is fine, appetite is fine...activity level is fine...it does appear to be buggin him a little..

Have been cleaning it and putting vaseline on it twice a day or so..everytime we clean it it seems more hair wipes off and it gets bigger...

It isn't a scrape..we thought maybe he was bit by something??? I have never seen anything like it.....

Sudjestions?? thoughts??

What would cause a histeocytoma?? It just baffles me how something would come on, and spread so fast lik that....it just looks so weird...looks like treatment for a spider bite for dogs is to just treat the symptoms and let it heal...we live in MN and it's snwoy and freezing here...so not sure what would cause this ind of tissue damage if it's some kind of venomous bite??

What would cause a histeocytoma?? It just baffles me how something would come on, and spread so fast lik that....it just looks so weird...looks like treatment for a spider bite for dogs is to just treat the symptoms and let it heal...we live in MN and it's snwoy and freezing here...so not sure what would cause this ind of tissue damage if it's some kind of venomous bite??

A little technical but keep reading Hystiocytoma.

I'd guess spiders live indoors all year long. They are the bane of my existence :lol:

Without a photo, this is only a guess, but my immediate concern is a brown recluse spider. I'd get him into the vet ASAP, as recluse bites are infamous for their reluctance to heal and necrotic characteristics. It's encouraging that he's not showing any fever or other distress, but not every person or dog reacts the same to a spider bite.

As you probably know, the recluse spiders themselves are quite small, and live hidden in spaces like woodpiles, sheds and under porches. (Thus the name.) So, a dog can be bitten simply by lying on or sniffing a place where a recluse is hiding.

Given that the lesion is growing, whatever it is, I'd definitely have it checked out by your vet.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

~ Gloria

Vet, vet, vet. I was also thinking spider bite due to what appears to be (as described) an enlarging necrotic area. There are other possibilities. I saw a TV show on a medical mystery in which the weeping lesion on a man's arm kept enlarging despite antibiotic (salve) treatment. Unfortunately, I forget what the cause was - bacterial I think.

Jovi

Vet, vet, vet. I was also thinking spider bite due to what appears to be (as described) an enlarging necrotic area. There are other possibilities. I saw a TV show on a medical mystery in which the weeping lesion on a man's arm kept enlarging despite antibiotic (salve) treatment. Unfortunately, I forget what the cause was - bacterial I think.

Jovi

I think that was on the show "Monsters Inside Me" on what used to be the Discovery Health Channel. I don't remember what exactly was causing it...

This does sound like a spider bite to me.

One of my dogs (hound) has had numerous malignant cancers removed from his face that presented similarly. Not suggesting that this is the case with your dog, but a growing, non-healing wound IMHO needs to be looked at by a vet.

Kim

Archived