Jump to content
BC Boards

Kipp again


Recommended Posts

A few months ago he tangled with the sick raccoon.

 

Last night at SAR training we were training in an abandoned building - a huge place and great for training during the winter months. Except for the rat poison. Kipp found some and gulped it down before I could stop him.

 

Thankfully someone there had peroxide and within 10 minutes Kipp had puked it all up. But not before mt heart skipped a few beats. Oh my. Of course it hardly phased Kipp and he was ready to go back to work as soon as his stomach was cleared out. And he did - in a cleared part of the building.

 

It didn't seem to bother me to much last night but today I've been exhausted and I'm sure it was from the stress of it all last night.

 

Kipp is now on Vit K for a month as a precaution. And I have a brand new bottle of peroxide that will stay in the car. Next training objective with both Kipp and Kenzi is ignoring anything edible unless it's given to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot to add an FYI to the first post - I called regular poison control last night just to double check that I was fine with waiting until morning to talk to my regular vet. The gal I talked too was very helpful and not at all phased by the fact that I was calling for a dog instead of a person. And I got a follow up call from poison control this afternoon to make sure everything was fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maralyn, I'm glad Kipp is ok - that's a heart stopper.

 

I wanted to chime in that I've called human Poison Control 3 times, 2x for a dog, and once for a human. Each of the people I talked to was very helpful, and I'll certainly call them again if the need arises. And, at least when I made those calls, it was free.

 

Ruth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes!

 

I was watching my niece's $1,000 Westie puppy once at my old rental condo, when she trotted out from under the pallets in the laundry room carrying an old, OLD box of rat poison. 5:30 on a Sunday morning, and I had to wait until 8:30 for the local vet to open.

 

FWIW, 1.800.548.2423 is the ASPCA's poison control hotline - I think that's the one I called, and they assured me that a couple hours wouldn't kill the dog. (Also, with rat poison, a shot of vitamin K reverses the damage.)

 

Mary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yikes!

 

I was watching my niece's $1,000 Westie puppy once at my old rental condo, when she trotted out from under the pallets in the laundry room carrying an old, OLD box of rat poison. 5:30 on a Sunday morning, and I had to wait until 8:30 for the local vet to open.

 

FWIW, 1.800.548.2423 is the ASPCA's poison control hotline - I think that's the one I called, and they assured me that a couple hours wouldn't kill the dog. (Also, with rat poison, a shot of vitamin K reverses the damage.)

 

Mary

 

Oh my - that would be awful.

 

In my reading up on the subject, I found that the way the poison works is that it blocks the liver from recycling the vitamin K in the system. It takes 24-36 hours for the vit K in the system to get used up. So the supplemental vit k takes over for the vit k not being produced by the liver due to the poison - typically brodificoum, diphacinone, warfarin or bromadiolone. Since all these have a very long half life, it can continue to affect the system for weeks in some cases. Hence the 30 day supply of liver flavored vitamin K for Kipp.

 

And be aware that if calling the ASPCA number you could be charged a $65 fee according to their site. Definitely worth it if you need answers now on a pet related question, but a bit pricey. Regular poison control was a free call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EGADS! I'm battling mice in the old farm house I live in and I am frightened to death to put out rodent bait of any kind.

 

Who was it on these boards who went through the horrendous experience of losing 3 of her dogs to rodent poison. Her sharing that terrible experience here has burned itself into my brain.

 

And that Kipp. He probably took a few years off your life with that experience.

 

Glad that it wasn't worse, that he's OK and you'll be prepared if there is ever another time. Still, makes you want to choke the little bugger. What he did to you in that short time is probably the equivalent of smoking 3 packs a cigarettes a day from the age of 8 yrs. old. :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EGADS! I'm battling mice in the old farm house I live in and I am frightened to death to put out rodent bait of any kind.

 

Who was it on these boards who went through the horrendous experience of losing 3 of her dogs to rodent poison. Her sharing that terrible experience here has burned itself into my brain.

 

And that Kipp. He probably took a few years off your life with that experience.

 

Glad that it wasn't worse, that he's OK and you'll be prepared if there is ever another time. Still, makes you want to choke the little bugger. What he did to you in that short time is probably the equivalent of smoking 3 packs a cigarettes a day from the age of 8 yrs. old. :o

 

Glad to hear that Kipp is okay!

 

How about a hungry cat, or a rat snake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Still, makes you want to choke the little bugger. What he did to you in that short time is probably the equivalent of smoking 3 packs a cigarettes a day from the age of 8 yrs. old. :o

 

No kidding!!! He really did look a bit miserable while getting the peroxide poured down his throat. But I didn't really feel sorry for him, he was going to be okay one way or another whatever it took - it was more like "dog, you asked for this".

 

And now the bugger is curled up on my bed. Blissfully unaware at all the stress he caused me this week. And they say that animals are supposed to be great stress relievers :huh: Kipp must not have gotten the memo...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...