BC Boards

Looking for BC pups in Ohio

We got our border collie daisy from a young girl in Missouri. She drove from Missouri to Zanesville, Ohio to deliver Daisy to us. She is the best dog EVER! My husband LOVES border collies and Daisy is actually is 3rd one but 1st pure bred.

I am wanting to know if anyone knows of any breeders in Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky? We are willing to travel a little ways to get our new dog..

Did you just get Daisy? When are you planning on getting a puppy?

Edit: Daisy is a cutie! Also I PM'd you :)

if you're going there psmitty, then so will i. don't forget to check out indian summers bc rescue and buckeye bc rescue, both in ohio.

I highly recommend Buckeye Border Collie Rescue in Ohio, if you're going to go the rescue route. Being in southern Ohio, you also have a lot of good resources in KY, IN, actually quite a few options south of Ohio's border.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Beware of scams. There are a lot of them out there!

I second Paula's suggestion of that awfully cute pup, Eclipse, in Hopkinsville, KY, and Vicki's recommendation of Buckeye Border Collie Rescue in OH. I've been fortunate to work with Wanda of Buckeye on a few dogs over the years and really appreciate all she does for border collies in need in this region.

Having lived here in south-central KY for 5.5 years, I can honestly say that I have not found a breeder in this region that I would be comfortable recommending (sadly, quite the opposite). However, I wish you good luck with your search. If you haven't already discovered it, you will probably find Eileen's sticky thread Seeking information about getting a Border Collie? helpful, as well.

I drove 9 hours...one way...to get my guys. It's worth it if it's right ;)

You got that right! I/we didn't drive that far but it's worth the trip for the right pup or dog. Narrowing your options by restricting your travel to a small radius may not be helpful.

So are you open to a rescue pup? What are your plans for the pup? Do you do agility or stock work, or are you looking for a companion, and a buddy for your other dog?

Looking for a companion/buddy for Daisy..She is spayed so we are not wanting to mate them. Just wanting to have two BC's

My one border Jess came from Warsaw which is in Coshocton county. They don't have a website but the place is called Boers and Borders. I don't know where the phone # is or I would give it to you. We were her 3rd owner so I never met her breeder. she is only 34 pounds sweet loving good with cats and other dogs so they breed awesome borders. They are ABCA registered. I live in knox county and I see some in the paper everyonce in a while. Look on craigslist or my other border I found on kijiji. But she came from a backyard breeder. She is a perfect smooth coat but the guy was a awful breeder. Go to puppyfind.com there are some great breeders here but kind of expensive. But they might fit your budget. There is also a breeder in wadsworth. Good luck i know what it is like trying to find a border in Ohio been there done that.

teganandjessmom23,

I see you're a fairly new member here, so I wonder if you've had a chance to read the board announcement: Welcome to the BC Boards--READ THIS FIRST? If not, I hope you take a look at it soon to give you a fuller idea of the culture here. If so, I don't think you'd be suggesting using a website like puppyfind to locate a reputable border collie breeder.

I am glad you love your dogs, and I hope you stick around and can benefit from the great information and advice this community has to offer. But please reconsider your advice to the OP.

If you're looking for a companion dog, there are so many in rescue waiting for homes. If you must go the puppy/breeder route, perhaps contacting your local stockdog/border collie assoc. for recommendations might be a way to go. That's probably where I would start as a newbie. Doing random internet searches...you just don't know what you're looking at. I found this list.

http://www.stockdog.com/bordercollie/clubs.htm

Good luck in your search!

Archived