BC Boards

Encouraging the newbie

wvcowman

I just recently started my dog Kelcey and I feel very fortunate that I was able to find a nice, quiet, patient trainer.

He has gotten my dog started and now he got me started LOL.

I feel a little tired after my lesson but I really am enjoying it. I was able to bring my dog broke sheep home this past Saturday and am now able to practice what I learned at home.

I am hoping this helps us progress faster. I am interested in how others are finding their lessons. Are they helping you? Are they helping your dog?

Share your experiences!

Hi there, welcome to the BC Boards!

Having a good instructor means everything in the world. There are just too many fine details that a newbie can't pick up on. I know I sure couldn't! :P

Even now that I do a lot of training on my own, I count on the input of sheepdogging friends to catch me in my mistakes. And I *always* go back to the professionals to make sure I'm on the right track.

The one thing I would say to you is, having sheep at home, should you find things not going quite according to plan, stop and get back in touch with your instructor. If it's not working, don't continue trying to make the right thing happen. And if you feel stuck, fall back to basics and practice what you know you know. :)

Have fun! Welcome to the world of the sheepdog addict!

Cheers ~

Gloria

P.S.

A good instructor definitely helps my dog, as the instructor sees things I don't, and find solutions for my dog that I don't have in my head.

~ Gloria

Hello Gloria,

Because I got sheep, doesn't mean I'm not going to see my trainer. It just gives me a chance to do short sessions and become a team with my dog.

Hello Gloria,

Because I got sheep, doesn't mean I'm not going to see my trainer. It just gives me a chance to do short sessions and become a team with my dog.

Oh, please forgive me if that's what you thought I meant! Far from it, I merely meant to illustrate how a good trainer has helped my dog as much as me. I would never talk someone else down, particularly when there's every chance you already know more than I do. :)

Best regards,

Gloria

Update:

I was very busy this week, but I was able to work my new sheep twice. They want to hang on the fence pretty bad, my round pen may be a little small in width. But, we got them off the fence still. They also are still attached to their 'former owner' more than me and they do not want to follow me around as they did when they were at my trainers'.

How's your training going.

Archived