BC Boards

Dog food prices on the rise

Yesterday I picked up our standing order of 120 lbs of kibble and was greated with a more than 10% increase in price.

I was told this was due to the increase price of corn (our dog food is corn free) which helps drive the price of the other grains and meat.

Corn has been going up due to tightening supplies and the price of oil.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I picked up our standing order of 120 lbs of kibble and was greated with a more than 10% increase in price.

I was told this was due to the increase price of corn (our dog food is corn free) which helps drive the price of the other grains and meat.

Corn has been going up due to tightening supplies and the price of oil.

The morning news also reported that economists are predicting that food prices will be rising dramatically over the next six months....plant a garden, everyone!

I just took in a dog that fell victim to the economy and donated several roundbales for the families horses plus am taking one to find a new home for.

Prices are getting to really hurt. With any feed. My grain went up. The hay is going up and up....

lol I took it to mean 120lbs OF dogfood, not 1 bag thats 120lbs! that would be fun to carry to the house... :blink:

dogfood doesnt need to go up...Ladybugs aging tummy isnt handling raw so good anymore, so she's been switched to Canisource..and the price of that stuff does NOT need to go up! $100 for a 10kg box is plenty thank you very much.

Generally if you are buying food made for working dogs you can get larger bags (40 to 60lbs). Some foods intended for working dogs I have used and like are Purina Pro Plan (Performance), Red Paw (Perform 32) and Eagle Pack (Power Formula). I really liked the ingredients for the Red Paw vs the others, but it is harder to get.

I got an e-mail from my supplier that they had to raise their price of TOTW by over $3/bag.

Everything is getting more expensive, yet wages are not coming close to staying in line. In fact, I received quite a pay cut at the beginning of last year and have yet to have that come back to me....

It sucks.

I hear airlines keep raising their prices as well, which I can definitely see to leading to higher prices at dog shows/agility trials/etc. where judges have to be flown in. Even if you can find "local" judges, the price of gas is also insane. :(

Last week as I went to get a bag of TOTW from the store and told them my name to pull the "loyalty card", the owner told me the company discontinued the buy 10 (or was it 9?) bags get 1 bag free promotion they've been having for years. She advised me to write to the company and complain.

I fully expect prices to tick up dramatically across the board. The recession has been holding them down for a while; businesses haven't been raising prices due to decreased demand. Decreased demand + lower prices = decreased profits...and stockholders will not allow business to go on like that forever. Lower demand also leads to less production and stock on hand.

The tiny bit of up-turn in the economy will be perceived as permission for price increases...especially on goods in low supply.

Just $.02 from some idiot with a minor in economics. I'm probably horribly wrong.

We have been told that the company that makes our food, is cutting back internally to try to keep the retail price of the food where it is now as opposed to raising the price again. When we began feeding their food 3 years ago we could get it for about $29-$34 a bag, now it is $40-$42 for a 40 lb bag. There have been quite a few complaints from those that are currently feeding the same food as ours about the price jump up to the current prices, I don't think they will be able to raise up any more without losing a bunch of customers.

I think that most companies have already exhausted options as far as substituting cheaper ingredients. The next thing will probably be bag size reductions. It seems to be happening with everything at the grocery store. It wasn't all that long ago where 50 lbs bags were the norm, many replaced them with 40 lb bags but kept the price the same or nearly the same.

Deb

I have heard really good thing about the new food at Costco Pelican Bay, it is almost identical to TOTW Salmon but it runs at 30 bucks a 30 pound bag

Has anybody tried it?

Yes, that's what I feed Senneca and foster boy Glyn. Beau is still on "kibble for tubbies", but he'll get Pelican Bay once he's in sight of his healthy weight.

Yes, that's what I feed Senneca and foster boy Glyn. Beau is still on "kibble for tubbies", but he'll get Pelican Bay once he's in sight of his healthy weight.

John, can you get that locally? I'm feeding Kirkland and wouldn't mind better chow for Cerb et al.

John, can you get that locally? I'm feeding Kirkland and wouldn't mind better chow for Cerb et al.

Yes, I get it from our local Costco. We're just finishing our second bag. I started Senneca on it first (while Glyn was loosing weight) then Glyn (who is now looking really handsome and is running faster than Senneca). Both eat eagerly and seem to be doing very well on it.

[bTW : Kelly Q. also feeds Pelican Bay to her guys.]

This whole dogfood thing makes me very glad I feed RAW!

At least for now my meatprices have not gone up!

And I don't pay salestax on "Human Food" (my dogmeat) ;)

What do you pay on average for meat per pound?

The dog food I buy (Diamond Naturals) is $28 for 40 lbs, or 0.70/lb. I feed 10 dogs roughly four pounds a day, which costs me $2.80, so let's just round that up to $3/day of kibble. (The two dogs that are raw fed also get kibble once a day.) Even with butchering my own, I don't think I could feed 10 dogs raw food for $3/day.

J.

Julie, our price for Diamond Naturals Chicken & rice went from $27-28 for 40# to just over $30.

How much raw do you feed a dog a day?

New Holland prices are so good right now I would not be surprised if it would be more economical to sell our lambs and cull ewes and buy less espensive meat if we were feeding raw.

I average about a $1/lb feeding raw, which is pretty good. But you can't really compare a pound of kibble with a pound of raw. My working dogs each get about 18-21 ounces of food a day, with the others needing 12-16 ounces. Kibble-fed dogs don't eat a pound of kibble a day, do they?

What do you pay on average for meat per pound?

The dog food I buy (Diamond Naturals) is $28 for 40 lbs, or 0.70/lb. I feed 10 dogs roughly four pounds a day, which costs me $2.80, so let's just round that up to $3/day of kibble. (The two dogs that are raw fed also get kibble once a day.) Even with butchering my own, I don't think I could feed 10 dogs raw food for $3/day.

J.

I get the Chickenleg q-ters at my local Walmart a 10 pound bag for 5.80

Since I live in the mainly hispanic part of town my neighborhood supermarket carries all the "good" stuff like heart. kidney, salmon heads even whole cow, pic and lambheads.

I can feed my crew for between 5-6 bucks a day on RAW

I have heard really good thing about the new food at Costco Pelican Bay, it is almost identical to TOTW Salmon but it runs at 30 bucks a 30 pound bag

Has anybody tried it?

Hated it. Sticky, smelly poop at an alarming volume and everyone lost weight. Until I can get a big order of food in I have been using Pro Plan Performance to tide me over. I know a lot of people look down on Purina since it is such a big company and does sell some lower end foods, but their research is solid and most dogs do really well on their higher quality formulas.

I average about a $1/lb feeding raw, which is pretty good. But you can't really compare a pound of kibble with a pound of raw. My working dogs get about 18-21 ounces of food a day, with the others needing 12-16 ounces. Kibble-fed dogs don't eat a pound of kibble a day, do they?

Hi Laurae

Thats what I average about a dollar a day.

I do not ever have to take my guys to get their teeth cleaned

They all look good, no itching, nice coat and they have energy.

The bonus is that cleanup B) is a breeze.

I know I could feed a little cheaper with kibble, but I really like what I get with RAW :)

I guess its really personal preference :P

Hated it. Sticky, smelly poop at an alarming volume and everyone lost weight.

That's interesting. My two have firm poop and -- so far -- I haven't seen any weight gain/loss. I have fed Senneca Orijen fish formula earlier, so I know that she does well on fish. She had a very slow and gentle transition. Foster boy Glyn got a faster transition with no issues. I do note that the calorific value of Pelican Bay is slightly less than the Kirkland Lamb and Rice they were getting previously. I haven't noticed any fishy aroma that I used to get from Senneca when she was on the Orijen kibble.

Archived