BC Boards

Books On Border Collies

jmccormick

I love reading and would like a nice, inspirational book with Border Collies as a main theme. I just ordered Nop's Trial. I will never read a book by Jon Katz so please don't recommend anything he has written, even if you did enjoy it. I was thinking "The Border Collie Wars". It can be fiction or non-fiction.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men is a pretty good read by the same author, D. McCaig, as Nop's Trial and Dog Wars. For the love of a dog by P. McConnell is also pretty good and, while general, focuses on her own relationship with her border collies.

And, while not about border collies, "bones would rain from the sky" by S. Clothier is also inspiring (to me anyway).

I think that "Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men" is the best "cultural" book about working sheepdogs and the men and women who made them what they are. Nop's Trials and Nop's Hope are both books that offer great insights into the dogs and the folks who are occupied (and preoccupied) with them.

A Glyn Jones "A Way of Life" and other UK sheepdog books are also good resources, as is Barbara Carpenter's book, "Understanding Border Collies", with its emphasis on the dogs, both with regards to being working stockdogs and also being companions.

"The Dog Wars" is an excellent book. So is Mr McCaig's "A Useful Dog", which is full of anecdotes and vignettes about these dogs.

"The Dog Wars" is an excellent book. So is Mr McCaig's "A Useful Dog", which is full of anecdotes and vignettes about these dogs.

I got both of these books for Christmas & I have been meaning to post about how wonderful "A Useful Dog" is! I really loved everything about it except that it was too short. Wonderful, thoughtful stories.

I haven't read "Dog Wars" yet...too busy working, training & puppy hunting :D .

Hello everyone,

I feel that Donald's The Dog Wars should be required reading for everyone involved with Border Collies, especially those new to the breed. Then, Border Collie owners who wish to participate in AKC activities would at least be aware of the history between that organization and those of us who fought to keep the Border Collie from being fully recognized.

Regards to all,

nancy

Bob, Son of Battle by Ollivant (I think that is how his name is spelled) One of the BEST!

Heather Jean A story of sheepdogs in the early 1900's in the US

Sheepdogs My Faithful Friends and Sheepdog Trials

A Dog for Davys Hill

All the Footrot Flat cartoon books

My Dog Rosie by CJ Greer

Sheepdogs and their Masters

David Kennard's A Shepherd's Watch and The Dogs of Windcutter Down. Perhaps not spiritually "inspirational," but they inspire me to get out and work my dogs! Shepherd's Watch is also a documentary DVD. Beautiful scenery...and the beautiful dog work leaves no doubt as to what a dog selectively bred for working ability can really do, and why a "herding instinct test" is not good enough as breeding criteria. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, does everyone know if the issues of "Eminent dogs, dangerous men" differ? I found three, of 1991, 1992 and 2007. The older ones are of course cheaper, but maybe some stuff has been added to the 2007 version? It has more pages, but that doesn't have to mean anything.

• 2 weeks later...

My libraries selection sucks! It's all Jon Katz and Patricia McConnell. I've read "The Other End of the Leash" and loved it, time to read "For the Love of a Dog" :]

As for Katz... I've only read one of his books, up to the part where he kills Orson, and won't read any more.

Dear Readers,

Ms.BorderFreeak wonders,

"Hey, does everyone know if the issues of "Eminent dogs, dangerous men" differ? I found three, of 1991, 1992 and 2007."

Back in 1989, when I got the copyedited ms of EDDM, I called my editor who was on vacation (first and last time I've ever intruded on an editor's private life). She had sent the wrong ms to the copy editor. Bad career move.

Since it meant her job,we two copy edited the ms and neither of us are copy editors and missed errors. Some of the scottish towns are mis-spelled etc.

I went over later editions carefully (with the help of reader complaints) and they are more accurate.

Donald McCaig

• 7 months later...

Archived