BC Boards

Names?

Ok, so I recently got a BC puppy, who is wonderful! We love him so much, and he fits into our lifestyle amazingly. But anyway, he has learned his name Tucker. But now is the time to Register him. Now, with my background being in show horses, I am used to have unique show names, then barn names. (EX: Keepin It Sensational as a show name and Lacy as the barn name)So, naturally, I want to give Tucker a show name, but my dad says that BC's aren't supposed to have long names and we should just Reg him as Tucker.

So here are my questions: What are your BC's reg names? Do you think it's acceptable to have a long Show Name? Or Should we just reg him as Tucker?

I think you should register him as just Tucker. It's customary to give border collies a short name. We don't follow the two-name (fancy name + real name) practice. Plus, if you are registering him with the ABCA, you cannot register a name more than 14 characters long. Of all the border collies I have had, the longest name I ever registered any of them as was six letters long.

LOL It depends on what you want to do with him! I love coming up with register names that suit the dog. Just remember that whatever you end up registering him if you compete with him you get to write out that lovely long name like a bazillion times. And if he adds any titles it gets included in the name. My boy register name is kennel name plus his register name while it not that long it is still a pain in the hind-in to write a lot!

Honestly, if you're registering a castrated dog with the ABCA, and you really want to give him a "fancy" name, it isn't going to hurt anyone to do it. You'll get funny, possibly disdainful, looks from stockdog folks if you trial a dog with a fancy name on the the running order. On the other hand, ABCA papers are not required to trial, and AFAIK, they're not required to run a dog in a (non-AKC) agility or flyball, etc event. It really doesn't much matter what's on the papers if your dog isn't going to reproduce.

I won't even go there if it's AKC registration where talking about.

i like to have a bit of fun with these naming things. my dogs are only registered to agility venues tho and are all fixed.

i have:

MCP's Quit Twitching, know as Twitch

CBCR's Catchanova known as Nova

FFA's Driving Miss Jazzy known a s Jazz (recently passed :( )

mcp stands for monongalia county pound, where we met and cbcr is for carolina border collie rescue and ffa is fayette freinds of animals..

Thanks everyone who replied! Tucker is going to be fixed for sure. I don't think we are going to trial him when he's older, but we will prob train him to herd, he already stalks everything that moves. I want to do Agility for sure tho. Also he is going to be reg ABCA, and the breeder did not say anything about a prefix, just that the name had to be within 14 characters.

I think that I am going to go with a Fancy name, just cause that is who I am, I like to do things a little different then others.

So here is my new problem: What should I name him? Any ideas? Goes by Tucker. Sire is Tanner, Dam is Gael.

And here he is:

1293403728.jpg

Ruftie: I LOVE all your dogs names! Especially FFA's Driving Miss Jazzy

So here is my new problem: What should I name him? Any ideas? Goes by Tucker. Sire is Tanner, Dam is Gael.

And here he is:

1293403728.jpg

Ruftie: I LOVE all your dogs names! Especially FFA's Driving Miss Jazzy

Way too cute! But I think I see a strong tendency towards mischief in that face. I know, so unusual for a bc pup.

Anyway, for a 'fancy' name, how about your initials, (if this adorable puppy were mine, then his name would start with RAH!)so he'd be "XXX's Never Tuckered Out".

Ruth

Coming from the horse world, I do get where you are coming from. One of my dogs is registered with his kennel name that his breeder gave him (Alasco's Kvichak), which I do give if an agility organization asks for his registered name. But agility organizations also ask for the call name, and the call name is what is used for ALL paperwork (record keeping, results, gate sheets, etc.). The other two have their call names and that's it. I admit to tossing around "fancy" names for them, but decided it was ridiculous and unnecessary.