BC Boards

Breeding

That is some excellent, horrifying math, Geonni.

All really good reasons in this thread! Just enjoy your girl, Ann King! She sounds lovely. I've got a dog (purebred BC)that is quite possibly the best dog that ever lived (yes, that's totally objective fact ;)). But he's certainly not breed-worthy either (no matter what well-meaning but ill-informed aquaintances suggest to the contrary :rolleyes:), and *I* am most CERTAINLY not breeder-worthy, and there's no shame in that at all.

I think you've got your answers, Ann King. :)

As I see it, the best reason to breed dogs is to perpetuate the best in the breed, and if possible, improve upon it. Breeding your mixed-breed girl would not improve on anything.

The pups wouldn't improve labs and they certainly wouldn't improve border collies, and I honestly don't see where a lab/bc cross creates a dog that's especially gifted at any skill either breed should have. Plus, stud dog owners, at least reputable ones, will not breed to crossbred bitches of unknown parentage and genetics.

In short, I see no need to subject your best friend to all the trouble of breeding and whelping, just to please your human friends.

Please spay your girl and abandon this thought altogether. Those puppies will not be their mother, and your friends might not be so enthusiastic when they discover that. If nothing else, your admitted lack of knowledge about breeding should be deterrent enough.

Cheers ~

Gloria

P.S.

Your reluctance to be away from her for the 4 hours it would take to get her spayed is NOT a good reason to leave her intact. For the health of your dog, please get her fixed, or one of these days you'll end up with puppies thanks to some stray pit bull or mutt who jumped your fence. "But she was only outside for a minute" is the mantra of many an unwanted litter.

Absolutely agree. And I may have missed the explanation but why aren't you in favor of spaying? It's really non-invasive now (much lower risk than whelping). The incision is tiny. And like other commenters, I don't mean to preach or bore you but there's no reason to breed your dog, no matter how wonderful she may be. I wish every dog on Earth- and human, if I'm being honest- had a disposition a third as wonderful as my BC mix Ingrid does. But, I had her spayed as soon as I could because literally for every Ingrid sitting on my couch, there are thousands who don't make it. And most of the time there's not a thing wrong with those dogs save for the fact that they have nowhere to go.

Archived