BC Boards

Massive, sudden coat loss

Laurae

Sophie is losing her fur in massive clumps, leaving dull, dry, coarse hair in its wake. Her entire back end has now shed, with this new short coarse fur in its place. This is very unlike her. Could it be a result of the prednisone she was on for six months last spring/summer? She's already on thyroid meds and we'll do a retest to see if they need to be adjusted. But this is pretty dramatic, pretty weird. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Did she go through any chemo with her treatments?

She did, but has been off chemo since September. Didn't lose any fur then, but maybe it changed the structure of the hair or something to make it more likely to fall out now?

I am not positive so hope someone else will chime in. I think it is chemo related and the time it takes for the drug to get out of her system and her system to recover, which may be what it is doing now. Again, I don't know but that's the first thing that came to mind.

No expert here but have lots of friends (humans) that have been through chemo. They are horrid drugs and def. affect the hair. I also cut most of my friends hair (beautician in a previous life ;) ) the hair texture is always different after chemo and after a year or so seems to get back to the original state with very little difference. Although there is differences.

Give Sofie a nice scritch anyways from me.

My 11 year old BC has been on chemo since March for Transitional Cell Carcinoma (bladder cancer), she is on her third chemo drug and has had no hair loss. I also have a friend who's dog has also been on a number of chemo drugs, some quite heavy duty, since March (her dog has lymphoma), and no hair loss there either. I asked my vet about hair loss early on, so I would know what to expect. She said hair loss is usually not a concern with dogs, they might shed a wee bit more, but rarely hair loss.

I am not a vet, was a vet tech in a former life, I would check with my vet to rule out things like thyroid problems or possibly cushings or an auto-immune disease?

Best of luck and please let us know what you find out.

Joellen

Archived