BC Boards

Looking for Breeders in the West!

Hi,

After about a year of research and studying I am planning to get my first BC this spring.

My husband and I live in Arizona, are very active and can hardly wait for our newest family member!

We will be using our BC for obedience and agility as well.

I have been in contact with several breeders but it has been hard to time it just right.

We are willing to make the road trip to anywhere in the country for the right pup...but we were

really hoping we could find some great breeders over on this side of the US.

We are attending an agility trail this weekend in hopes to gain some contacts of local breeders.

If anyone has any contacts or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you thank you thank you!

~Killian

Welcome to the boards! I'm sure there are people in your area that will contact you that can help. Just to play Captain Obvious, HERE is one place in Arizona that I would avoid.

(Hey D'Elle, aren't you in this same area? Did you ever find a pup?)

Good luck!

Jodi

I would encourage you to check out Arizona Border Collie Rescue, if you are open to rescue. They have several dogs evaluated for temperament, of various ages, including puppies.

But, then, I'm prejudiced toward rescue :-)

Welcome!

I'll second Diana in suggesting you consider a reputable rescue group as a resource for finding a great dog or pup. There has been so much discussion here about the pros of rescue dogs (and they are not without their cons, either, but I think the pros far outweight the cons) that you should be able to find many topics that talk about the subject.

The important thing is to avoid those that breed for the wrong reasons. Read the "Read This First" at the top of the boards to get an overview of the philosophy of these boards, and that will help you understand what we're talking about when it comes to responsible breeding.

Meanwhile, here's wishing you the very best in your search!

Hi there......welcome to the BC Boards! I live in Arizona, too, and am a foster home for AZ Border Collie Rescue. Please go to our website http://www.azbordercollierescue.com/

and check out the lovely dogs we have there. We even have puppies. There are so many wonderful dogs in rescue all of the time that I strongly encourage you to get your first BC this way rather than going to a breeder.

I have been a foster home for five years and every single one of the dogs that I have had come through my home has been a wonderful dog. The best part is that you get the chance to visit directly with the person who has been living with the dog for anywhere from two weeks to six months or more and they can tell you all about the dog -- quirks, habits, strengths, likes and dislikes......everything. And you will be matched up with a BC whose personality and energy level is just right for you and your family. Much better than taking a chance on a puppy when you are not yet experienced with the breed!

I second the suggestion to stay away from the breeder mentioned by link in Jodi's post.

Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help.

:) --D'Elle

Hi,

After about a year of research and studying I am planning to get my first BC this spring.

My husband and I live in Arizona, are very active and can hardly wait for our newest family member!

We will be using our BC for obedience and agility as well.

I have been in contact with several breeders but it has been hard to time it just right.

We are willing to make the road trip to anywhere in the country for the right pup...but we were

really hoping we could find some great breeders over on this side of the US.

We are attending an agility trail this weekend in hopes to gain some contacts of local breeders.

If anyone has any contacts or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you thank you thank you!

~Killian

I sent you a message -

...And you will be matched up with a BC whose personality and energy level is just right for you and your family. Much better than taking a chance on a puppy when you are not yet experienced with the breed!

That's right and a very important point. The AZBCR will help you find a dog that is a good match for you.

Archived