BC Boards

Mojo request for my newest foster

We pulled our newest foster from the shelter on Friday because of his physical condition. Normally we wouldn't have been able to get him out until today, but the poor guy is limping and in some serious pain. The shelter released him early to us since there is nothing they would have been able to do. None of the vets were open, so he's been at our house, at least now warm, full, clean (he was so filthy I don't think he was able to get up to potty for a while)and drugged. Luckily I have some extra tramadol at my house, so we've been giving him two pills a day to help with the pain. I can't tell if his funny limp is because only his front leg is injured, or if his back legs have something wrong as well. :( He has been such a good boy on crate rest. He was incredibly unsure of us at first, but now has decided Chris and I are alright. He is a BIG boy, and very skinny. He is also either the softest border collie ever, or still has his puppy fur. I just need to get him through one more day and then pray a vet can squeeze him in tomorrow after the long weekend. Any mojo to ease his pain, get him into the vet, and hope that his injuries aren't severe would be much appreciated.

Chip, Chris and I thank you in advance.

Carrie, If I remember correctly, tramadol is a straight painkiller. It may be beneficial to give Chip an anti-inflammatory as well. If you have some rimadyl on hand that could help, depending on what his issue is. Sending Chip all the mojo I can to get him over the hump. Keep us posted.

Please, please be careful about using drugs prescribed for other pets without being directed to do so by a veterinarian. Tramadol can have some really ugly side effects and is dangerous if used in the wrong patient.

Poor, poor boy - lucky boy to be in your care.

Liz P is right in advising caution since you don't know what his problem is and the medication has not been prescribed for him.

Here's hoping you will soon have a diagnosis and a (hopefully, successful) plan of treatment.

According to the vet he has some sort of shoulder injury and possibly valley fever. The vet said it didn't seem broken or dislocated. It could be soft tissue or some sort of bruising on the bone? He will continue with rimadyl and tramadol as needed for pain. Per the vet we will be increasing his time out of the crate to see if moving a bit more will help. The poor guy still walks like Quasimodo, but not as bad as when he first came to us. He is very sweet and very smart. He has learned that I get concerned when he cries, so if I decide it is time to take a break from him he will sit behind me and start whine-crying. <_< Fluffy only gets you so far in this house buddy. He didn't trust us at all at first, so I am going to take his wish to coerce for attention as a positive yet annoying mile stone. We'll just keep him low key for a while longer until we see some serious improvement. Thanks for all your well wishes.

Archived