BC Boards

Bob Johnson Stockdog Training and Care Clinic

Pencil in February 26th and 27th, 2011 for a Stockdog Training and Care clinic.

The clinic will be presented by Bob Johnson of Tingley, Iowa on Saturday February 26th. Bob will also have a veterinarian guest speaker that will present information on care of both stock dogs and sheep.

The clinic will be followed by an open Fun Day on Sunday February 27th. Sheep and cattle will be available in many work areas (arena on up to open pastures) allowing handlers/dogs to work at any level.

More information will be available at www.iowastockdog.com as it becomes available.

Tingley is located approx. 1 1/2 hours south of Des Moines.

You ordering better weather than last time ? LOL!!!!

Yeah, right...compared to what we would have had if the clinic was here at our house we did have good weather!!!

How are things looking down your way for travel Friday and Sunday, planning on running down to Branch, AR.

Might be able to work something out, how far off of I-35 are you? I'm watching weather kinda closely. I have to pick up the rental car Thursday afternoon, based on last evening's forecast I was thinking about pulling out Thursday and driving part way to get out of the rain/sleet area.

I'm dropping Ricky off over at Marc's after the trial, right now I'm concerned about the trial being cancelled but it looks like the rain/snow is going to stay north. I may just make the trip regardless of if the weather is good for the trial just to get Ricky to Marc's sooner vs. later.

I'll have Ricky and Jake with, and maybe 6 month old Patty, she could use some travel expirence.

• 1 month later...

Deb you have got to have better weather next time in Iowa! What, tornado's in May? The weather sucked! But the clinic was nice and the stock work/commaraderie terrific. Had a good time, Hubby had a fire when we got here so finally got warm.

Butch needs cows so I am taking donations to buy Butch cows to work ;) Please contact me to send donations.

@Pam...the check is in the mail.

Don't even say the "T" word!!

Kinda missed working dogs yesterday morning with all you guys...somehow Bob drafted me into taking on a special needs case, hey Pam, do you think that heeler could have been any more out of control?

Actually, aside from taking cattle to what ever random place (basically where ever they ended up), I didn't see any potential beyond what was offered as far as I'm concerned. About all he will be is a four legged hot shot, get a stop and a go, the direction will have to be controlled by the fences, and you better have strong ones if you run him without a muzzle on.

BTW, when you saw him running the cattle across the field, that was with the muzzle on. Bob brought him into a small pen with hopes of getting the dog to do something other then run at the heel, the dog won't and when he hits he retreats like a chicken, he is a soft weak dog, it's one of the reasons I was able to get so much change in him from a obedience/manners standpoint so fast. A tough dog would have taken me longer.

The dog has no cover or desire to control, I think if the muzzle would have been off he would have creating a huge mess, suspecting the reason they stayed together and didn't go over the fences was because he was not inflicting pain.

Deb you have got to have better weather next time in Iowa! What, tornado's in May? The weather sucked! But the clinic was nice and the stock work/commaraderie terrific. Had a good time, Hubby had a fire when we got here so finally got warm.

Hey Debbie, thats all she does, brings cold weather with her :P;):P

and then she complains about it :D:P:P:D:lol:

Hey the weather was there when I got there same as your place I think it is a plot against me!

Deb I didn't realize the dog had a muzzle on. That makes a difference. He does have go so could be trained, but it would be a very long row to hoe and there are plenty of better dogs out there, depends on how badly he wants the dog to succeed. At lease he idd rescue it.

He and I had a long talk about the dog, if he can get a stop when he wants it the dog can be useful, if he wants a dog to do what we were doing with ours then it is unfair to even think of placing that type of expectation on the dog, basically he would be trying to put a square peg into a round hole. He was getting frustrated with the dog and a bit abusive due to the frustration, I pointed it out to him letting him know that the dog was giving him everything he could and that picking on the dog was not going to change it. Anyway, sometimes we have to give people news they don't want to hear, but I think in the long run both he and the dog will be better off. He realizes that what he gained in obedience and manners along with a new sense of what is possible as far as working dogs was well worth attending.

He and I had a long talk about the dog, if he can get a stop when he wants it the dog can be useful, if he wants a dog to do what we were doing with ours then it is unfair to even think of placing that type of expectation on the dog, basically he would be trying to put a square peg into a round hole. He was getting frustrated with the dog and a bit abusive due to the frustration, I pointed it out to him letting him know that the dog was giving him everything he could and that picking on the dog was not going to change it. Anyway, sometimes we have to give people news they don't want to hear, but I think in the long run both he and the dog will be better off. He realizes that what he gained in obedience and manners along with a new sense of what is possible as far as working dogs was well worth attending.

Didn't have time for long response last night, but that is what I was thinking. The dog had go, and with a stop he could use it for some work, but it would be limited. I see this far too often, the guy buys a moped when what he really wanted was a dually.

Archived