BC Boards

Well-Behaved or Well-Trained?

geonni banner

Some things dogs learn are specific, push button type behaviors, and some are patterns. A lot of the "manners" are patterns of behavior. I think it takes longer and more exposures, usually for the dog to pick up the pattern and generalize it.

Sometimes, when a dog "just gets it," it needs to be made more difficult for it to actually stick. Otherwise, it's like dust in the wind the moment they see a butterfly, or whatever. It is just not enough to hold their attention. They fail when it's too easy, but succeed if it's more difficult.

Also, I agree with what Sue said above. People's brains are affected lack of stimulation. They actually shrink. If not sufficiently simulated, children don't develop language or social skills. I suspect this is true for dogs. Dogs exposed to an enriched, varied social environment develop better brains and more social intelligence than dogs that are left in a kennel, in my opinion. It's one of my frustrations with sport dog people who crate their dogs except when actively working. I think they make their dogs less than they can be.

Archived