BC Boards

Favorite Puppy Training Info Sources?

Well, I don't know exactly when I will get a puppy, but I figure now's the time to start getting prepared, in any case. Although I am not by any means without any resources or information, I am eager to have all the sources I can have. If any of you have favorite books, articles, websites, or other sources of good information on puppy training, I would be grateful if you shared them with me.

I am a positive-reinforcement trainer and work with a clicker. My goal is to find out what I and a puppy can build together over time if the puppy is trained with the clicker from day one. I think it will be great fun.

--D'Elle

Well, I don't know exactly when I will get a puppy, but I figure now's the time to start getting prepared, in any case. Although I am not by any means without any resources or information, I am eager to have all the sources I can have. If any of you have favorite books, articles, websites, or other sources of good information on puppy training, I would be grateful if you shared them with me.

I am a positive-reinforcement trainer and work with a clicker. My goal is to find out what I and a puppy can build together over time if the puppy is trained with the clicker from day one. I think it will be great fun.

--D'Elle

I have not read this book myself, but because I've enjoyed all her other books, I'd suggest you look into the Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell. I love her humor and insights.

I've read other books that are popular (like Ian Dunbar's books) and found quite a bit that was useful but was a bit put off by the subtext in some of his books "if you mess up on this step even once, it's a disaster, you may have just ruined your puppy for life".

--D'Elle

I like Pat Miller's Positive Perspectives. It's all positive and covers puppy training, housebreaking, behavior problems, etc...

JoAnna

In the two months since I replied to your previous query on the topic, I acquired a puppy, and my recommendation holds: "How to raise a puppy you can live with" by Clarice Rutherford.

I second Pat Miller's "Positive perspectives", and add Paul Owen's "The dog whisperer". Owens also has "The puppy whisperer: a compassionate, non-violent guide to early training and care" which I have yet to read.

And your older pups may prove quite helpful as well! Our six- and ten-year old both love to play clicker games along with the puppy.

Susan

Susan Garrett's Shaping Success was Quinn's puppy raising primer. She tells the story of training her over the top sports collie Buzz for agility but gives lots of information on clicker training in general, puppy rearing and games that teach control. Even though I dropped out of agility a few years ago, I'd still probably choose that if I could only have one book to refer to for my next puppy.

I am all in favor (when the time comes) of taking a puppy class, where you not only work on your skills, your puppy's budding obedience and manners, and so forth - but (most importantly) your puppy has the opportunity to socialize both with people and with other puppies, in a supervised setting. Of course, I'm also in favor of continuing on to taking family dog classes, too. All of this is predicated on having quality classes available to you.

Very best wishes!

In the two months since I replied to your previous query on the topic, I acquired a puppy, and my recommendation holds: "How to raise a puppy you can live with" by Clarice Rutherford.

Susan

Oh, that's another one I've read. I liked it (and I sent my copy to my sister when she acquired a puppy).

I did think Ian Dunbar's book provided more useful information in many ways (I just wasn't sure about the guilt-trip "must do this NOW or else" parts. Of course you have to view things from his perspective as a vet who sees the #1 cause of death as euthanasia following owner surrender).

Archived