BC Boards

LGD's earn their keep once more!

Pam Wolf

Awakened early this AM by the BC's going off over the LGD's. Most of the LGD alerts the BC's ignore. I went out back turned on the flood lights and things got quiet. Back to bed. DH awakened me a bit later to say the LGD's had a coyote cornered near the dam behind the house. I got up to investigate. The coyote had gotten away a few yards and was holed up under the roots of a downed tree. Upon seeing me the coyote bolted with the 3 LGD's, who were holding vigil on it, hot on it's heels. They caught it about 100feet down in a hole in a ravine. While I was trying to manage the steep leaf covered slope (without even having my first cup of coffee!)I watched as the 3 LGD's were tearing at the coyote, like they were playing with a tug toy! I got down there and humanely dispatched the coyote. The LGD's were still standing vigil when I left.

I have 2 pyrs and an Anatolian. I need at least 3 dogs here at any one time. Our terraine is rugged and we have alot of trees. We have dog, bobcat and coyote predations in that order. Rumor has it we have cougar and bear around here too. I have more trouble when I run less than 3 dogs. But this is the first time I have actually seen them attacking a coyote. There have been reports from neighbors of the dogs chasing coyotes but no one has reported seeing them attack one before.

I have 2 pyrs and an Anatolian. I need at least 3 dogs here at any one time. Our terraine is rugged and we have alot of trees. We have dog, bobcat and coyote predations in that order. Rumor has it we have cougar and bear around here too. I have more trouble when I run less than 3 dogs. But this is the first time I have actually seen them attacking a coyote. There have been reports from neighbors of the dogs chasing coyotes but no one has reported seeing them attack one before.

Wow where are you? Like others, I feel bad for the coyote but I do understand you have to keep your livestock safe. I wish there was a deterrent that could be put up around the property line that tells them to go hunt somewhere else.

It is good to know that LGD's are doing their job too :)

The LGD's are the deterrent! Like A secure Goverment facility (think something like Area 51) if you fail to obey the warning signs you will be shot. In this case, the barking and marking of the LGD's are the warning signs. If there are trespassers they will be attacked. It is that simple. Darwinism at work.

Poor coyote.

Did you see this morning's paper? Got a picture of a cougar in a tree in Southern Platte County. I think it said that was the 11th siting since 1990's. They don't think they are breeding pairs in our area but there might be some that are just moving thru - like young males.

There was one hit by a car right by my house. Turns out it belonged to a man in Platte County that has cougars. So maybe that is what this one is too.

Tommy, some of the locals claim to have seen cougars in the area. I know there are bear near Lawrence. Apparently cougars killed some pigs in the county last summer. Might have escaped from some place, but there could be breeding pairs by now. I remember the one hit on the highway

Tommy, some of the locals claim to have seen cougars in the area. I know there are bear near Lawrence. Apparently cougars killed some pigs in the county last summer. Might have escaped from some place, but there could be breeding pairs by now. I remember the one hit on the highway

I think they are doing DNA on the cougar hairs they found in the tree to see what kind of cougar it is.

I also saw last week where a deer hunter thought he shot a coyote and it turned out to be a wolf. They are doing DNA on that one, too to see if its a wild wolf, a tame wolf or a wolf dog. I think that was right up around Dearborn.

There was also a picture going around the internet of what some deerhunters thought was a cougar - they had a digital camera of some kind trained in on a deer trail. Turned out to be a bobcat.

I have seen some hugh bobcats around here. And I would NOT doubt that some of the wolf hybreds/and wolves that belonged to the guy in Bonner Springs were set loose at one time or another.

I saw the article from the news on the Platte Co cougar

And it's all happening right up there around you. No telling what your dogs will run up against.

I also saw last week where a deer hunter thought he shot a coyote and it turned out to be a wolf.

this isn't near you Tommy is it?

I got rid of my livestock and took my LGD with me when I left CO. Unfortunatly I didn't get to take my DS and DH at that time.

DH says that within a week of us leaving he saw a mountain lion hunting rabbits in our long dirveway. The bear also moved up closer to the house once we were gone.

It amazes me what a wonderful LGD does with little thanks or fanfare.

this isn't near you Tommy is it?

I got rid of my livestock and took my LGD with me when I left CO. Unfortunatly I didn't get to take my DS and DH at that time.

DH says that within a week of us leaving he saw a mountain lion hunting rabbits in our long dirveway. The bear also moved up closer to the house once we were gone.

It amazes me what a wonderful LGD does with little thanks or fanfare.

This is very close to me. Southern Platte County is just a few miles away. I'm in Clay county. The cougar that got hit on the highway was probably two miles from me. Pam's place is about 50 miles from me.

I do find it kind of odd that all of these sightings are all in Southern Platte County. Makes me wonder if someone up around Farley or Dearborn is keeping wild animals and they just sort of get loose once in a while. One of my customers is a vet tech up in Southern Platte and he said there was someone who keeps cougars up there. Like Pam said there used to be a guy in Blue Springs who kepts wolves and wolf dogs - and he had a lot of them. We went out there a couple of times. Its very possible that some of those might have come to live up around our area. It's not all that far.

I love cougars and they are protected here. But I really don't want to let my dogs out in the morning and find one in my back yard.

A local brush-clearing business lost a few of its goats recently to cougars. I've seen them at work with Border Collies, but don't think they have LGDs. Wonder if it would pose a problem that a lot of their work is done on public parkland where many people hike with their dogs - I mean, conflict between LGD and hiker's dogs.

Some might have started as escaped "pets" (I do not believe wild animals are pets however)but for such a reclusive animal they may have breeding pairs now with as many sightings as have been noted the past several years. I had one big cat attack several years ago but not sure which type of cat it was. I would expect more sitings if these wer tame cougars as they would have a lowered fear of humans and probably be more dangerous.

I would suspect hikers dogs and LGD's could be problems. It can be difficult to keep LGD's in electric netting unless they are trained early and never learn they can jump it.

So you guys think these are just escaped exotic pets?

We don't know. Authorities are doing DNA to see. I guess they can tell where they came from that way.

It's just odd that they are all showing up in one fairly small area - Southern Platte County.

But - they may also just be following the river down this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived