BC Boards

Proud mom of a rescue

The important distinction IMHO is that rescues don't make a dog have issues. Other things make a dog have issues. You can get an issue dog from many different sources, not just a rescue. Thus all rescue dogs cannot have issues since they come from many different backgrounds.

My first dog- from a breeder (not a very good one, learned that lesson): fear aggressive, but we've come a long way and Ceana is happy in her world

Our second dog- from rescue: Noise sensitive, but a mean disc dog and hopefully one day a reliable sheep dog

Our third dog- from rescue: You couldn't ask for a better temperament around people and animals. When we go to events with ABCR as volunteers Sita is the one that the kids pet, hug, tug and squeeze. The only "issue" she has is that she prefers sheep poo eating to work.

Ceana would have been loony whether she wound up in rescue or as she came by purchase to us. Sita would have been a mellow cool cucumber pup even if her breeder would have sold her instead of relinquishing the entire litter, sire, and dam not in the healthiest of conditions to ABCR. Would Poke have been so noise sensitive if he hadn't been a stray (true stray, my boy fended for himself as a young pup)? I couldn't tell you, but I don't think the question matters. He is who he is and I adore him.

My dog qualifies as a rescue as I got her as a young adult from the SPCA in 1997. I think the best way to judge her is to compare her to other dogs I have known over her lifespan. If I wanted a working dog (and I mean working, not playing), I'd consider going to a breeder, Since I have a pet, my major concerns are longevity, health, and temperament.

Longevity? Check. She is the only one of her cohort that is still alive and well, beating out my sister's purebred terriers who all died at a much younger age.

Health problems: came with giardia that the vet (subsequently not my vet) didn't diagnose for 8 months and so had intestinal scarring and has had to eat a very prescribed diet her whole life. Compared to friends' dogs: no hip displasia (pure bred Lab), no cancer (boxer, American Eskimo), no skin issues (Golden Retriever). Health: not perfect, but better than many. No expensive health issues.

Temperament: Had a 2 year old stranger run up behind us and grab her around the neck while we were walking. Other than being startled, was glad to see him. Doesn't like other dogs in her face and will never back down when faced with a threatening dog (even at her advanced age). Not the "I love everybody in the world" temperament of labs and beagles, but not as standoffish as my sister's terriers. Sound with people, which is what matters most to me.

Overall assessment: not much different than if I had bought a puppy. Many dogs have various issues, and some are harder to live with than others. The only "perfect" dog I have known was the Canine Companion puppy some friends raised. Not a purebred, incidentally, but a lab X golden.

IMHO, whoever likes (and respects; let's not include those who mistreats their dogs) dogs has got to have at least some good taste. Whether that person wants to buy a puppy from a breeder or go adopt one from a rescue group or shelter really doesn't matter. One is as good as the other, and everyone has their preferences.

My own preference is going through a rescue. I do not want a puppy and would much rather get a senior dog whose working days are over and just wants a buddy to walk with. Or chase a ball. Or learn some tricks. Or, if I ever find the right dog, do search and rescue with the proper training for both the dog and me. I make no apologies for my preferences, even though when I tell people Whisper is adopted from a rescue group, I get THAT look. Sure, Whisper has issues-I've worked her through a lot of them. There's more to work on. I love working with her on them. I think I've gotten the better end of the deal when it comes to the relationship with her. Isn't that true of anyone who loves their dog?

My Good Dog Jester came from a rescue.........BC Rescue of Southern California, in fact. Wanna know what his big bad "Issue" was that caused the family that had him to turn him over to rescue?

He kept climbing over the fence to get to the sheep.

:D

They had sheep. They got a sheep dog. Sheep dog wanted to go work the sheep. So they got rid of the dog. :blink:

D'Elle

All our dogs are "gently used dogs with lots of wisdom".I know that you are not supposed to attibute human emotions to dogs. When I took Grace home - just hours before she was supposed to be put down - she looked at me with these eyes that would make a stone heart melt. She was turned in by her previous owners "Because she kept on running away". This is the most loyal dog that I have ever seen. You couldn't get rid of her if you tried. Each of my dogs are different and special.... most of the time "gently used dogs" are not a reflection of the dog but a failure of the previous owners or circumstances.

Archived