BC Boards

Border Collie puppys in South Carolina??

CoachB

For many years my husband and I only had females because he didn't like having tires, gate posts, and whatever else is handy for leg hiking around the place urinated on .....

Penny

There are, of course, ways to manage this sometimes irritating behavior...When Robin discovered his "powers", I found that running at Robin yelling "MINE!" was a very effective way of controlling his geographical boundaries - and also provided entertainment for family members. :). He "owns" all the boundary fence posts. Everything else is "mine". Brodie, perhaps intimidated by my wild behavior learned by example and quietly slips off behind the pine trees to do his business privately. And while on lead, the pups piddle only with permission.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

We are still looking for a puppy in the SC, NC, GA area. We had a few leads but none have come to pass. We are looking for preferably a black and white puppy. If anyone on the board can help us out I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me at your earliest convenience. Thank you for all of your leads with breeders they have all been helpful but none had puppies at this time. We live in Columbia, SC. Please if you have any leads with reputable breeders please give me their information. We wanted to try and have a puppy for our kids for Christmas. My e-mail is robandmarcia@aol.com

Thanks in advance!!!

Robin

Hey Guys,

We are still looking for a puppy in the SC, NC, GA area. We had a few leads but none have come to pass. We are looking for preferably a black and white puppy. ...... Thanks in advance!!!

Robin

Have you considered widening your search area? If you were to hear of a well-bred (to your standards) puppy from farther away would you be willing to let the breeder choose your puppy for you and ship it to you?

No - I do not know of any litters, but wanted to make the above suggestion which would increase your chances of finding your new canine family member.

Jovi

I would be willing to travel farther but would want to be able to select the puppy ourselves. Just a feel thing I guess, and I would feel more comfortable knowing we picked the right puppy for our family. That just seems like to much of a chance thing having someone pick out our puppy. That is the one of the memorable parts of the process.

Thank you for your help!!

I would be willing to travel farther but would want to be able to select the puppy ourselves. Just a feel thing I guess, and I would feel more comfortable knowing we picked the right puppy for our family. That just seems like to much of a chance thing having someone pick out our puppy. That is the one of the memorable parts of the process.

Thank you for your help!!

I think you're going to need to figure out what is most important here - getting a puppy before Christmas, or getting a well bred BC pup. If you want a well bred pup, we can help you. But finding a well bred pup within the parameters you've stated is going to be really, really difficult. And I would be very, very leery of litters on the ground in time for Christmas with several pups left to choose from. It smacks of someone being interested in producing pups for Christmas instead of breeding good dogs.

What's more with working breeds it is not uncommon for the breeder to suggest/pick out a pup in working breeds. Or for most of the litter to be spoken for. If the pups are well bred chances are that the litter will already be partially to mostly spoken for. So even if you find a well bred litter in that time frame, chances are high that you'll have only a pup or two to choose from.

I think you're going to need to figure out what is most important here - getting a puppy before Christmas, or getting a well bred BC pup. If you want a well bred pup, we can help you. But finding a well bred pup within the parameters you've stated is going to be really, really difficult. And I would be very, very leery of litters on the ground in time for Christmas with several pups left to choose from. It smacks of someone being interested in producing pups for Christmas instead of breeding good dogs.

What's more with working breeds it is not uncommon for the breeder to suggest/pick out a pup in working breeds. Or for most of the litter to be spoken for. If the pups are well bred chances are that the litter will already be partially to mostly spoken for. So even if you find a well bred litter in that time frame, chances are high that you'll have only a pup or two to choose from.

I would agree with the comment about finding pups for Christmas. From what I've heard, pups at Christmas are not typical for (good) breeders. Maybe give the kids the stuff to go with the pup--a nice collar and lead, bowls, toys, and a nice "gift certificate". Maybe also some obedience classes. Then they can go with you when the time is right.

Robin - You may wish to read the topic "Does it exist anymore?" concerning picking out a pup yourself.

And if you read (or have read it), before you think that I (or we) don't understand your feelings, I know just how you feel. As in that topic, I would love the feeling of sitting in a pile of pups and picking out just the one that appealed to me.

Remember though that a puppy is always a bit of a "pig in a poke". What you see and feel at 7 or 8 weeks of age is sometimes an indication of what you'll potentially have in an adult dog - but oftentimes is not. A pup is, to a great extent, an unknown entity.

Either way, you are limiting your options by selecting a specific time (Christmas), location (understandable since, with a family, travel might be limited), color (I love black and white, but that's not the only option, and color is only "skin deep" so to say), and so forth. You may wish to enlarge your options to help you in your search.

I second those who suggest "puppy preparations" for Christmas - supplies, books, and so forth - and contacting potential breeders to line something up for spring. Besides, I have experience in this but dealing with and housebreaking a pup is much easier when the weather's more amenable!

Best wishes!

Let's see, you want a puppy for your kids? You want a pup from a local breeder? You want a pup "you" can pick out? You want a pup for Christmas?

Do you really want a puppy for life or do you want to feel good 12 days from now?

You may have good intentions but from reading all your posts your heading down the path of adding to rescue. I sure hope you realize what a bad example you are giving your kids and change your criteria.

I konw of some nice pups due soon, but not in time for Christmas. They are outside of your search area.

If you're interested in them you can pm me.

One little is in ID the other is in MO. Then I might know of another one in AR

like I said PM me if you're interested, but again, they are not due by Christmas but they are bred.

Oh yeah, I don't think you'd be getting pick of the litter but depending on the size of the litter and what they have you might get to specify what gender...maybe.

If you wait until after Christmas to get the puppy, your kids can come and help "pick" the one they want. And they can take part in the planning process (getting the home puppy proofed, reading a kids training book, learning the rules for interacting with the puppy, getting supplies, etc...), it would be a great life lesson.

I also say pick with quotations because, as others have said, you might not have a huge choice in puppies. Partly because many working breeders will pick one or two they think would fit best (since they know the personalities the best having lived with the puppies for 8 weeks) and partly because if you're looking to get the puppy in January, most reputable litters are almost all spoken for at this point.

That said, as discussed in the "Does it exist anymore?" thread, personality at 8 weeks doesn't necessarily predict adult personality. Many service dog organizations have found a major disconnect in temperament testing and adult personality. One of my agility friends, who is also a professional trainer, had pick of a working Border Collie litter and she temperament tested all of the puppies. She picked the that tested to have the most stable and balanced personality. The puppy grew up to have no off switch and was very challenging to live with. So you really never know.

I totally understand wanting to feel a connection to the dog you pick. I'm adding a puppy to the family in a couple of weeks and it was initially a concern of mine (I'll have two dogs to pick from), but because of what I've learned about personality at 8 weeks, I'm no longer worried about it. Both of the parents are awesome and I know any puppy from the litter will be great.

Thanks guys for all of the advice. We don't have to have one for Christmas. Obviously we know time is against us and we want to make sure it is the right dog for our family. No worries!! We will be patient. Our family has had several dogs over the past 30 years all who have lived long prosperous life's. They will be in good hands between the four of us. Thank you everyone for all of your help!!! This is a terrific site with some outstanding people.

Plan on not just exercising them physically, but mentally as well. You go way beyond sit and stay! Be prepared to give them lots of attention, my boy (16 months) loves nothing more than to play a game with me or go for a walk. He hates it when I'm busy and ignoring him, sometimes he retaliates and steals my socks :/

• 2 weeks later...

There are currently BC pups listed in the Charlotte Observer online in the classified, you may want to look there. I am on my 4th BC (red and white) that I purchased locally. I have had 4 total over the years and they have all been purchased from mom and pop people that simply love BC's and have both parents on the premises. I hope that you find the one that you like and Happy Holidays! TRH

Welcome, trh!

You might want to read the "Read this first" to get an idea of the philosophy of these boards. That might also explain to you why buying from a reputable breeder of working-bred Border Collies rather than a backyard breeder (or puppy mill) is not only a good idea but also supports the breeding and maintenance of quality working-bred Border Collies.

Buying pups advertised in the classifieds may get you a nice pet, but it does nothing to support responsible breeding.

My mistake. I have yet to purchase from a puppy mill and only from mom and pops that work their BC's in the field. I do believe this says BC Boards not BC Boards for people that work their dogs only. Their are people which choose this breed for pets, agility, obedience, fly ball, etc all of which the Border Collie excels at. I believe that more problems come from not training your pet properly as opposed to who you purchased your pet from which is why they end up in rescues, etc. TRH

Sigh. TRH, no this is not a forum only for people who work their dogs, but the PHILOSOPHY governing this forum is that border collies should be bred for work only and preferably a very high standard of work. People are welcome to come here and discuss their pets, their sport dogs, their service dogs, or even their not-quite border collies. But the reason the "Read This First" page is pinned at the top of each section of this forum is to make clear to all newcomers the philosphy espoused by the site that hosts this forum. You may not agree with that (breeding) philosophy, and that's your right, but you won't find much support among the folks here if you espouse buying from backyard breeders and the like. Just sayin'.

I don't know if you spent any time lurking before you joined, but often it's helpful to read a bunch of the posts and get a feel for the culture of a group when you're new to that group. The culture here largely encourages people to get dogs through reputable rescues or good working breeders.

J.

Since this thread has reemerged, I'd like to make one quick point. If you are interested in getting a young pup through rescue - it is very possible. Just like getting a pup from a good breeder, you need to be patient. Get approved through your rescue(s) of choice and then wait for the right pup to come through.

Many rescues choose not advertise available pups online. Puppy postings online tend to attract large numbers of less qualified applicants. For this reason rescues frequently have a waiting list of people and/or choose not to advertize puppies (instead making them available through direct contact or word of mouth). Just because puppies are not listed on rescue websites does not mean they are not available, do your research, networking and then be patient.

Lisa

Archived