BC Boards

Border Collie puppys in South Carolina??

CoachB

If the breeder is reputable, they may not let you hand select your own puppy. A good breeder will get to know you and your family and help you get the right pup, whether they pick it for you or guide you towards that selection. After all, the breeder is with them 24/7 and knows the pups. No matter what tests you may do, it's just not the same. Beware the breeder who will let a pet home just pick whatever puppy they want or just gives them whatever's leftover.

This last so mirrors my own experience...when we put our name in for a pup we asked for a male, as we all ready had a female (Ladybug) in the household and had lost our male in an unfortunate accident. (No, we weren't going to breed but in our experience it's a better dynamic.)

We went to a breeder for a pup instead of going to rescue for the first time in all the years we'd owned dogs. My husband had seen a red-half sister to our prospective pups, and suggested that if there should be a red male in the coming litter, that might be the one we would want...it just so happened that Robin was the only red male in the litter, so he was clearly the dog Ken wanted but was he really the dog for us - that is, me because the dog was to be "mine"?

The moment Robin began to move around, and as we visited over the nine weeks, it became apparent that Robin was the king of the puppy pool; his mother was constantly on him for his manners. One day I watched her roll him like a bowling ball for plowing into the group while everyone was eating then he got up, shook himself off and did the same thing again... He was a very outgoing in your face kind of pup that would eventually challenge the handler at every turn. He was also very insistant -- let's get up, let's play a game; let's get going. A real pest at times.

As many of you know, I was quite sick at the time and wavered a bit over bringing him home because it was clear that he was going to be a handful and it was also apparent that Brodie and my husband had developed quite an attachment,so perhaps he was the pup for us and we had first pick of the males.... but when it was time, the breeder said, "You can handle this dog; he and you are well matched. And you need him right now." She was right on both counts.

Though I must confess, I didn't discover just how challenging Robin is until we started him on stock this fall :). But he can, in the lingo, "take a correction" and keep on going. He doesn't curl up and quit and he's very eager. This dog is going to teach me a great deal. And he got me up and got me going.

Brodie is a softer dog, much easier to handle and he and Ken were attracted like magnets. They were destined for each other like soulmates and Brodie and Ladybug share Ken nicely. We would have had a nice quiet life if we'd just brought Brodie home, but then, I wouldn't have had a dog and my life is so much richer because I listened to someone who knew her dogs and quite a bit about people too.

(This is not an endorsement for bringing two pups home...I'm NEVER doing that again. EVER.)

The rescue dogs I've brought home, I've decided in a half hour to take them because someone knew me and knew the dogs and told me that this was the dog for me (except for Ladybug -- we just grabbed her out of the pound and ran for the hills with her.). The pups -- it was nine weeks of visiting and studying at least once a week, observing them and playing with them before finally deciding what we were going to do. In none of the instances have we been disappointed.

Liz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have had a few very good leads. Thanks to everyone who has PM me and given me what I wanted in my original post. I am not looking for one under the tree, as I realize the odds are against me although I have been looking for over 2 months. Just curious what is an OP? I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. As I said before I am sure Border Collies in rescues are great and the ones that I have visited online near where I live did not have puppies when I looked. Sorry if they are in Kansas, Colorado or Timbuktu I am looking for one around here. I have had several very good leads of very reputable breeders in the Carolina's and Georgia, and even one in Florida as well. Some of you have stated your cases very well for your dog and their stories and that is admorable.

I am by no means an expert in Border Collies as many of you seem to be. I just wanted advice and help. I have had several dogs over my life, Belgian Malinois, Labs etc. so we will go through the same process and God willing we will find whats right for us!!

PM me if you have some more leads.

Thanks for everybodys help!!!

Hi Coach B ~

"OP" means "original poster," the person who started the thread. ;)

Jeezo, guys, can we all take a deep breath, here? It sounds like Coach B has above-average familiarity with the border collie breed and he's done his research. I agree the odds of finding a pup to suit by Christmas Day are improbable, but he's acknowledged that. However, I don't see where it hurts for him to inquire, just on the event someone knows of a litter that will be ready to go. This IS the place to ask, after all, and sometimes buyers back out of a sale.

And I hope folks understand that not everyone wants a rescue, every time. Sometimes people just want a pup of known parentage and known genetic and health history. It's kind of nice to be able to look at a pup's parents and relatives, and have a sense of what that pup might inherit. Also, by saying that it's hard to find puppies in rescue, maybe he means it's hard for *him.* He may not feel like driving across three states to look at a rescue, if none are available in his area.

It's well to caution people against holiday purchases and the like, but I don't see a need to jump all over someone because of their personal preferences. If they've see more bad than good in rescues, that's a shame, but it doesn't make them a bad or ignorant person because they've formed an opinion. As they say, we draw more flies with honey than vinegar, and I'm seeing a fair bit of vinegar.

Gonna go hug my old rescue dog, now, and then pet my two hand-picked pups. ;)

Cheers ~

Gloria

More red herrings (or willful disregard). The rescue puppies posted in this thread were not in Timbuktu, they were close to the OP, even in the very rescue he was "looking" at, but whatever. Facts are so annoying.

Exactly. And research doesn't include doing anything. lol

I guess I'm not understanding where the issue is. The OP never said there are no puppies in rescue. He said there's very few, but that he didn't see any when she's gone looking. He obviously wants a well-bred pup, but you don't normally find those in rescue (yes, there is a rare case every now and again that I'm sure people will make it a point to bring up ... again). Really, if there's an entire litter of puppies in rescue, they are not there because someone cared about them, bred them with purpose, and were raising them properly. They are a larger crapshoot than a pup from a litter whose lineage you know, from someone who owns the sire and dam and can tell you about their history, etc. The OP sounds like he comes from another breed, so he did the smart thing and came to people who know reputable from otherwise and asked. I wish more people would do the research the OP seems to have done or is doing. (** changed "she" to "he" ... sorry CoachB**)

I could care less what the OP wants, just pointing that out for him/her and others that which was incorrect, and should have been obvious if any research was indeed done.

It was quite evident from your posts that you could care less what the OP wants. I should think that would turn him off from any suggestions from you, and turn other readers here off also. It would sure turn me off. I mean, isn't he entitled to some little bit of say about what dog he wants to get?

You mentioned that puppies are available at CBCR and PRBCR. Since I think I know what those initials mean (probably not many people in the OP's position would, and you provided no links), I checked the Carolina Border Collie Rescue and Phoenix Rising Border Collie Rescue websites. On the CBCR site, I saw a dog named Daisy listed as available. She had recently had a litter of puppies, but there was no mention of the pups being available for adoption. On the PRBCR website, I saw a litter of pups described (very imaginatively, judging by the photos) as BC mixes. If there was something I missed, perhaps you would tell me. If there was nothing I missed, I fail to see the basis for your assertion that the OP said anything incorrect. From what I can see, his statement that "there are very few puppies" is closer to the truth than your statement that "there are indeed plenty of pups in rescue right now."

I don't see how gratuitous expressions of disapproval are at all constructive in a situation like this. I compliment Coach B for his tolerance of them.

I figure if a well-bred pup is available, go for it, although I'd feel more comfortable if a rescue pup might have been given consideration first. Either one might wind up being the best choice OP could make.

I'd just hate to see them driven into the waiting arms of a barbie collie breeder -- you know, the types who start their sentences with "those working lines..." --- or the "we breed for a good pet" -- you know, those types.

So, to the OP, I hope you get the dog of your dreams from a good and reputable breeder or even a great little dog from a rescue. Whatever, I'm sure you'll give him/her a great life!

It was obvious the OP already had his/her mind made up. My only point in correcting him/her was for others reading who might think there are no puppies available in rescue, as was previously stated by him/her. But again just in case you missed it, maybe flashing lights are needed...

THERE ARE INDEED PUPPIES AVAILABLE IN RESCUE RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE NOT AS "RARE" AS SOME WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE.

If one does indeed do the research, there are pups to be found and they would even know what those initials stood for too. You don't have to get one, just know they are there.

I'm not sure why anyone needs to use capitalized pink large lettering to get a point across. We can all read. But, Rave, you say: "It was obvious the OP already had his/her mind made up." In reading the OP's original message, yes, the OP knows what he wants. He was asking for a reputable breeder. Contrary to popular rescue belief, there is nothing wrong with that. He wants a puppy from a breeder. Not a rescue. Why is this a crime? Why is he obligated to look at a rescue? Because rescuers think he should? Why is he not allowed to get a well bred pup from a respected breeder instead of getting a puppy that was bred by who-knows-who for who-knows-what reason and landed in rescue for who-knows-why? There are many people who feel a need to rescue the poor little dogs in the shelters ... but there are others who really don't want to mess with that, and having done rescue for a number of years, I can't say as I blame them.

My only point in correcting him/her was for others reading who might think there are no puppies available in rescue, as was previously stated by him/her.

To Rave/Laura-Your point may have been as stated above but your tone doesn't help get that point across. It comes off as rude & disrespectful. It is hard to educate while making snide comments- especially when you do so anonymously (no sig on your posts). Based on past interactions I can see that's the way you roll...that's fine with me, I've been around for a while now & I know to just ignore you.

However, by jumping all over a person asking for advice you will turn him & others off to all of us. That will drive them to the first breeder that comes along & then you are doing a real disservice to rescue...the very thing you are claiming to support.

To CoachB- I hope you find a great puppy & I hope you & the kids enjoy it for a long long time. If you don't locate a pup right away you may consider talking to some of the rescues about going to visit a few dogs. There is no commitment required to just go see them. You never know what might happen if/when the kids meet a nice young adult dog looking for a home. It may be a perfect match.

Either way good luck to you!

Cindy (who hopes to spend this holiday season with her rescue of almost 12 years & is currently shopping for her next puppy)

I'm not sure why anyone needs to use capitalized pink large lettering to get a point across. We can all read. But, Rave, you say: "It was obvious the OP already had his/her mind made up." In reading the OP's original message, yes, the OP knows what he wants. He was asking for a reputable breeder. Contrary to popular rescue belief, there is nothing wrong with that. He wants a puppy from a breeder. Not a rescue. Why is this a crime? Why is he obligated to look at a rescue? Because rescuers think he should? Why is he not allowed to get a well bred pup from a respected breeder instead of getting a puppy that was bred by who-knows-who for who-knows-what reason and landed in rescue for who-knows-why? There are many people who feel a need to rescue the poor little dogs in the shelters ... but there are others who really don't want to mess with that, and having done rescue for a number of years, I can't say as I blame them.

I can't speak for Rave, but in my opinion, of course CoachB, or anyone else who comes here with similar posts, is "allowed" to get a puppy from a reputable breeder. And most of us acknowledge that, while making the suggestion of a rescue. But first of all, why would it hurt to kindly suggest a rescue? If they're not interested, they're not. The only reason I keep coming back to these threads is because, invariably, the same two things come up when someone says they're not interested in a rescue. And that is, 1) there are few or no puppies in rescue, and 2) all rescue dogs are messed up and come with baggage of one kind or another. And those of us who know better, who feel strongly about the issue, will continue to try to change that misconception. If not for that one person, for others who are reading that we might not even know about.

It's kind of like a new poster comes on here and says they're going to go to a Famous Sport Breeder for their border collie. They're of the mindset that this type of breeder is great, puppies raised in the house, temperament tests done, health clearances done on the parents. They're not a good breeder? You, Jodi, will often be one of the first to try to steer them to a different breeder. Why? Because it's something you feel strongly about. You're hoping to maybe influence that one person, and the mindset of others lurking and reading.

Or like the new poster who comes on here and posts about Fluffy's first time on sheep. Poster talks about how the sheepies are a border collie's best toy and they can't wait to go "play with the woolies" again. How many of the working folks here are going to do their best to change this mindset? And why shouldn't they? They feel strongly about the issue, and who knows who else just might read it and start thinking differently?

I am not in agreement with being rude or condescending or snide. If I have been, I'll be the first to apologize. Things get heated with subjects near and dear to our hearts, but there is nothing wrong with trying to educate or influence people in a positive manner.

Edited to fix some typos and stuff.

THERE ARE INDEED PUPPIES AVAILABLE IN RESCUE RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE NOT AS "RARE" AS SOME WOULD LIKE TO BELIEVE.

Well, there are no border collie puppies listed as available on the CBCR or PRBCR websites, are there? It's hard for me to see the point of your falsely implying that there are, apparently in an effort to disparage someone who came here looking for help in locating a reputable border collie breeder. Someone who did his research better than you did, apparently. Big pink print doesn't change that.

Thanks everybody for all of your help. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and they will not turn me off. I am not here to get in an argument or debate on this. Rave evidently has some issues with Rescue Borders. Rave I don't want a rescue so let it go. Here is my original post "Does anyone know of a reputable Border Collie breeder in Columbia, South Carolina or the surrounding area?? My family is looking to purchase one for our kids for Christmas. Would you recommend a male or female? I have very active twin 7th graders, whose Lab passed away last year. Thanks for your help!!!"

Please no more rescue rants. For those of you who have been so kind with your PMs and suggestions on breeders. Thanks and yes the whole goal was to find a puppy from a good lineage and most importantly a reputable breeder!!

Thanks everybody for all of your help. Obviously everyone has their own opinions and they will not turn me off. I am not here to get in an argument or debate on this. Rave evidently has some issues with Rescue Borders. Rave I don't want a rescue so let it go. Here is my original post "Does anyone know of a reputable Border Collie breeder in Columbia, South Carolina or the surrounding area?? My family is looking to purchase one for our kids for Christmas. Would you recommend a male or female? I have very active twin 7th graders, whose Lab passed away last year. Thanks for your help!!!"

Please no more rescue rants. For those of you who have been so kind with your PMs and suggestions on breeders. Thanks and yes the whole goal was to find a puppy from a good lineage and most importantly a reputable breeder!!

Nobody has addressed your male vs. female question. I personally prefer female pets of any sort but I can't give a very good reason why. I guess I think that females are more tempermental (and therefore more interesting to me) and also smarter (but less reliable in performance because of the tempermental bit). I definitely feel this way about my horses, so that is probably what also makes me prefer female dogs. But I have read on this board and elsewhere that you should consider gender if you already have another dog (though it sounds like you don't). I've heard said that you should not get a female pup if you already have an adult female. Two males, male and female okay, but not two females. I went ahead and got another female and it's working out just fine for whatever it's worth.

I think it's obvious that when one adopts from a breeder, a rescue dog that could have been adopted won't be. I prefer a rescue but that's just me.

I'm sure more experienced posters here can testify to the fact that dogs that come from breeders are not necessarily going to turn out the way one expects. In a way, it's better to go for a rescue and be ready for anything than go to a breeder with set expectations and be disappointed. Dogs are living beings with their own personalities and breed and pedigree are indicators of behaviour, not guarantees.

Also, my dog is my first BC and although they are wonderful dogs, are they really that perfect family pet? I know BCs can be great with children but if being the kids' playmate were my priority I'd go for a lab, a golden retriever or a newfoundland.

But in the end CoachB, whatever dog you get and wherever you get him or her, I hope the dog and your family are all happy together.

I think it's obvious that when one adopts from a breeder, a rescue dog that could have been adopted won't be. I prefer a rescue but that's just me.

What about the flip-side to that coin? I see that a perfectly good home was just taken up by a rescue dog (probably of unknown lineage and more than likely a mix of some sort) that was probably bred by some backyard breeder or puppymill ... a pup that should never have been bred in the first place ... when that person could have provided a great home for a well-bred dog whose genetics are an asset to the breed as a whole, and thereby allowing the breeder to continue breeding good dogs.

I guess it's all how you look at it.

^^^ What she said. Jodi, ya beat me to it!

A

Wow. Remind me NOT to come here when I am looking to find good leads on a working dog! You would think that a site that urges everyone to maintain what the BC is supposed to be, would take the chance to point a person looking towards that kind of breeder. Nothing wrong with suggesting rescue.

I have done all three. Bred, bought and rescued. All three have had their advantages and disadvantages.

But bottom line, this forum is full of folks that work their dogs and know of the right kind of breeder.

This guy seems to know what he wants.

When I was a kid my parents promised me a dog. I had to come home for an entire year and do my homework without any kind of prompting from my parents. Then, at christmas I got to pick up my pup. Although a Yorkie was a far cry from what I was looking for. But she was the most perfect dog ever.

As far as the picking dogs...I also feel that a good breeder will assist with matching. To me, picking a pet pup for an active family is ten times easier than picking a working pup. Why? Simple, most pet people (and I do not mean that in a bad sense at all) will put up with all the normal stuff of owning a dog. A working home often has needs that a pup should fill. As such, I think it is a lot harder to predict just how far a pup may go than picking a good solid pet. Hope that makes sense.

Which is why I will probably look at an older pup for my next working dog. So that I can predict a bit more as to what I will be dealing with.

I don't want a rescue so let it go.

I cannot think of anything more to be said on the rescue subject that has not already been said. If you CAN think of something new to say on the rescue subject, please start a new topic, and let's confine further posts in this thread to answering the OP's questions. Thanks.

As with all moderator decisions, if you disagree, please contact me privately.

Nobody has addressed your male vs. female question. I personally prefer female pets of any sort but I can't give a very good reason why. I guess I think that females are more tempermental (and therefore more interesting to me) and also smarter (but less reliable in performance because of the tempermental bit). I definitely feel this way about my horses, so that is probably what also makes me prefer female dogs. But I have read on this board and elsewhere that you should consider gender if you already have another dog (though it sounds like you don't). I've heard said that you should not get a female pup if you already have an adult female. Two males, male and female okay, but not two females. I went ahead and got another female and it's working out just fine for whatever it's worth.

My experience was always with male dogs - Ladybug was our first female. And she's been a dream as far as her temperament, though as she is aging I see some subtle changes - she's a bit less tolerate of foolish things the boys do. The one drawback to males, is that even if they are neutered, they may still mark.

I chose a male pup for several reasons. - I'd always owned a male dog, right from the cradle, it seems, so habit plays a big role; and because we had a female (Ladybug) in our household. I knew that she would tolerate a male because we had just lost our Scotty, another rescue BC, but I was pretty sure she'd run another female right out of Dodge because in her day, our little Ladybug could wrassle a grizzly bear and win. And, because I liked Robin's looks - he's a larger boned BC with a medium weight coat - I like rough coats but his is just fine. ANd he's got some "heft" to him. If you look at his legbone compared to the other two, you can see that his is quite a bit larger in comparison - it's not a trick of the eye. He outweighs Brodie by 7-10 pounds and he's not fat.

For many years my husband and I only had females because he didn't like having tires, gate posts, and whatever else is handy for leg hiking around the place urinated on. We have since discovered that our males tend to have sunnier, more forgiving (meaning less sulky) natures in training on livestock, which is demanding enough to make slight differences in temperament more apparent than would be the case in a family pet. My husband quickly got over guarding the sanctity of tires and progressed to not noticing. Please note, I am not saying that male dogs make better working dogs or companions. I have a preference for bitches in part based on better luck introducing new ones into our pack of eight, three male, five bitches.

Penny

Archived