BC Boards

Lasix and lack of appetite

KrisK

Zach, as many of you know, is my 15 1/2 yr old miniature schnauzer. He is currently on Lasix and Vetmedin for his heart. The lasix seems to make him lose his appetite since it's fine when he's not taking it. He does eat vegetables and bits of chicken and some boiled egg but other than that, he's turning his nose up at most of the food he would normally eat without a problem.

Has anyone else had issues when their dog is on Lasix and if so, what did you get them to eat? I don't mind cooking vegetables for him but don't want to overdo it.

And thanks again for all the good mojo you sent to him :)

Do you think talking to the vet about changing his meds would help. Willow was on Lasix for a while, but I don't remember it affecting her appetite. Since she's incontinent, the lasix had to stop, but she's on Vetmedin and Enalapril for her heart. Of course, she doesn't have fluid around her heart at this point, so a diuretic isn't absolutely necessary. I wonder if there's not an herbal remedy that would work to help him remove fluid while not disturbing his appetite?

J.

Archived