BC Boards

cow problem

ryder

our problem is training Ryder on our cows when we go out in the field our cows are like are dogs pets the cows just do what they are suppose to do and all the dogs and cows have been together so the cows dont even move when we go out unless they think its time to go to the barn Ryder does not nip or bark never has when we walk behind them he goes back and forth behind them when we had turkeys he would take them back to the barn and run up beside and than to the back of them and did a great job and they were stupid but I dont know what to buy to train him with

Your cows won't work-- they are no longer natural acting.

Get some dog broke(but NOT soured) sheep or goats off someone.

If that fails buy some sheep or young goats(60-70lbs) somewhere. You'll have more trouble getting started because you will have to break them to a dog with a dog that doesn't know anything and a handler that doesn't know how to make it easier- but it can be done.

I know it sounds stupid but when we get animals (barn or house) we make them as bomb proof as we can as we keep our animals until they die. We dont get something and than get rid of it because of a problem we work and work until they become trustworthy but anyways I can get some sheep they are the ones you dont have to shear now should I buy young just weaned or older ones p.s. they seem dumb to me but I dont know anything about sheep if one breed is better than the other Cathy

Once the dog is trained you can work sour animals--

It just doesn't work to train the dog on.

i would get hair sheep- just so I didn't have to shear. Personally I hate them but they are the easiest to keep around for training dogs on.

With hair sheep I would put alot of effort into finding dog broke ones--- save you and the dog alot of aggravation.