BC Boards

BiteNot Collar

2 Devils

For anyone that needs to use an E-Collar of some sort you should check into a BiteNot Collar. I recently purchased one for my eldest ACD for a leg wound and it has worked out great and she doesn't have to worry about running into things.

It is a little expensive but I think it has been worth it.

We got one for Buzz for his post amputation period, his right rear leg was taken off just below the hip. About 7 days into it, he'd figured out a way to stretch just right, and he could reach his stitches. Back to the Cone of Shame for the last 3 days.

For a dog who isn't quite so bendable, or a wound higher up or on the torso, it should work fine. In fact, I think I loaned it to Sue R for a while, maybe she'll speak up and share her experience.

Ruth

ETA - when it works, it seems to be much easier on the dog, no knocking around, they can eat/drink with it on. It's just not always enough.

And I was expecting you to reply, Ruth!

We used Ruth's collar when Megan had a tip-of-tail injury and then amputation. We also used the cone of shame, an extra large one that was modified to fit her size, as she was very clever about outwitting things we did to deter her chewing on her infected tail.

I really like the BiteNot for use with anything that is on the main part of the body or even upper legs, or essentially the same areas that the cone of shame works well for. But, because an animal can move, eat, drink, and otherwise be pretty comfortable with the BiteNot, I think it is a vast improvement over the cone, and sure wish we'd had one when Bute had had his surgery, and we needed something for a few days (as he never managed to move around without crashing into everything).

For feet or the tail tip, though, finding anything that is dog-proof can be challenging. We had Megan in the BiteNot, with a cone, and a splint on her tail (so she couldn't bring it around to her mouth - she was one determined dog) - and she could still sometimes manage to defeat our efforts if I didn't keep constant watch on her.

Archived