BC Boards

Has anyone tried the Zeta collar

Sue R

I'm needing to get a spare set of collars for my three, and was curious to see if anyone had tried the Zeta collar (they are available through Border Collies in Action). I think I saw them at the Finals but did not really check them out to remember any personal opinion.

If anyone has used them, would you mind giving your impressions? They are a bit pricier than the plastic-over-nylon that I use now (and like) and I'm wondering if they have advantages that would make them a better choice.

Thanks!

Thanks! I did find them less expensively but not with the riveted-on name tags, which I like. When I factor that cost in, they are reasonably priced from BCIA, but still pricier than the kind I have currently (which do just fine for us, easy clean, with ID, center ring, and all).

Just curious what anyone else might have felt about this alternative.

Sue,

I don't know about the Zeta, but we have used the Sunglo for many years with our hunting beagles. We like them, they hold up well as long as no ends are sticking out for another dog to catch and chew. Biggest advantage; they don't smell!

I think we got the last batch about ten to fifteen years ago, and still have a couple around. We order them from Nightlight with the name tags. They were about $3.00 a collar then with the tag. My how things have changed!

Cindy

There is no D-ring with a center-ring collar - you just hitch the leash to the center ring. It's supposed to rest on top of the neck so that it's easy to access to attach or detach a leash, and I have to say that mine do that most of the time. I guess the heavier part (with the buckle) tends to migrate down to the bottom of the neck and you have to reach around for it.

I also like that there's nothing dangling with a center-ring collar.

I found two orange Remington waterproof collars (the 15"-18" size) in the clearance bin at PetSmart for only $3.97 - been looking at them when they were full price but didn't know if I should splurge or not. They look just like this one, but without the center ring collar:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Orange-1-Inch-22-Inch-Waterproof/dp/B0009YUCCI

41kKQlX8wJL._AA300_.jpg

And, best of all, they fit the Chuckit ball perfectly :)

5127958607_4986b4d546.jpg

I just ordered two collars, one of them a Zeta and the other one a regular leather collar. The collar itself is great, but I was unhappy with the engraving on the tag and will have to either find someone to unrivet the tag on the collar or (more likely) just order two more collars with correctly riveted tags elsewhere.

I have the Durasoft center ring collars from Gundog Supply. $9 gets the collar with the tag. The collars do have a D ring at the buckle, but the beauty of the center ring is that it's very easy to attach a leash with one hand (no grabbing the collar to attach the list). The center ring collars are supposed to spin if they get hung on something, presumably allow the dog to detach itself from whatever it's hung on.

The Durasoft collars are softer than the old vinyl-coated nylon collars I used to use. Still easy to clean, and no smell.

J.

Archived