BC Boards

Big Step

As some of you know, I adopted Danny, a Swafford dog, on Sept. 4th. Needless to say, he is terrified of the world. It's a day by day process with him. We live in a townhouse, so he needs to be walked whenever we go out, so we go out back (it's all woods, so he doesn't mind it as much). Everyday, I notice he looks out front when we get to the place where there's an opening between the rows of townhouses, and gets more and more interested. And everyday, I try to move him forward, to no avail. Well, today, he was very interested and we actually walked between the houses, out front to the sidewalk and down the sidewalk quite a bit. I was so excited!! I praised him so much and he seemed so happy with himself. What a wonderful day.

Thank you everyone! It's nice having a support group! ;-) It is such a great feeling to be making progress, although I'm not in any hurry. I have all the time in the world. I just like to see him shine when he finally does something and realizes "hey, that wasn't so bad". My ultimate goal is to be able to walk both dogs together!

The other day, I got up earlier then usual, so I changed my routine. I usually get Danny out of his kennel first thing to go potty, then take Lacee for her walk around the block. Well, this time, I decided to let Danny sleep and took Lacee first. She became quite upset...she was looking everywhere for him, behind the couch, under the desk, downstairs. When I told her we were going for a walk, she really didn't want to go, because she couldn't find him. I think she's become very attached to him.

That is excellent! There's really nothing like watching those little accomplishments, and knowing what they mean in the life of the dog. (Even though to the world they look like nothing...)

I remember the first time I took Buddy for a walk and he was relaxed instead of slinking and ready to jump at a shadow. He turned back to look at me and gave one of those content, relaxed smiles, and I knew that he felt safe in his new world. ::Sigh::

Mary

Congrats on the step forward. After seeing a group of Swafford

dogs first hand, and agonizing over the decision that I couldn't

bring one particular dog home, I know the kind of baby steps that

are indeed big steps forward. I still think of that dog often.

Thank you for rescuing and putting in the enormous amount of time

that is involved to make a home for these dogs.

Mike

Congrats to you both. I know how wonderful it is to see them have those little victories.

We still have one of the three Swafford dogs that we took in here. She just recently came to live with me after having spent the past year in a foster home. She made so much progress in her foster home and was really doing well. Unfortunately, she did not get along with one of the other females in the home and the fights were escalating. So, she came back to live with me on Sunday. I feel so bad for her because it's like she's back to square one. I'm hoping that with the foundation she received in her first foster home, she will make progress quickly in my home. But, I know that she'll have to start back at square one again when/if she ever gets adopted.

I just want to say, "thank you" for being willing to take on one of these dogs, loving them for who they are and charishing them for their tiny little victories. I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Wow, sounds wonderful! My heart goes out for dogs like that (Holden, whom my daughter got out of shelter and fostered a short while, and whom I transported, is a dog with many fears who simply shuts down when it's too much).

Kudos to all of you who do rescue, and make the difference in the lives of these dogs!

Congratulations!! My Cricket was afraid of many things when she was younger and she did not start off in the terrible conditions as the Swafford dogs. I remember being very happy when she didn't react to someone sneezing! So I can well imagine how gratifying it must be to see those tiny, but very important victories - GO Danny Go!!! Keep up the great work with him and KUDOS to you for not being in too much of a hurry - this is one of those times when 'slow and easy' will win out! :)

Congratulations!! My Cricket was afraid of many things when she was younger and she did not start off in the terrible conditions as the Swafford dogs. I remember being very happy when she didn't react to someone sneezing! So I can well imagine how gratifying it must be to see those tiny, but very important victories - GO Danny Go!!! Keep up the great work with him and KUDOS to you for not being in too much of a hurry - this is one of those times when 'slow and easy' will win out! :)

Thanks so much! Funny, you mentioned the sneezing. When Danny first got here, he jumped whenever my husband or I sneezed. Poor guy. He would jump if we moved too quickly, dropped something, laughed, coughed. He's over all of these, so I guess these were victories also!

Archived