BC Boards

Arthritis

Ancient_Dog

Our 14.5 year old Casper has arthritis in his hind legs (knees we think). He is on Rimadyl and Cosequin which helps some days more than others. Our vet has talked about Adequan injections or Cold Laser Therapy. I was hoping someone here might have experience with either of these or might have another alternative for the pain. Otherwise, he is in pretty good shape, his blood work is excellent for his age and most days he gets a morning and evening walks totaling about 1.5 to 2 miles depending on how he feels.

I have been using Adequan with Speedy for his arthritis for several years and it has helped him a lot. I do also give him a low dose of Tramadol daily, as well.

I'm not sure what kind of laser therapy his chiropractor uses, but she does treat him with a laser and that also helps him greatly. I only take him for the laser/chiropractic 4 - 6 times a year, but it still makes a big difference.

I had a horse on Adequan for a while, it was effective but very expensive. I switched to injectible PS-GAGs (poly-sulphated glucosaminoglycans) that I purchased from a compounding pharmacy for a fraction of the cost with a vet's prescription, and it saved me a bundle. It is basically a compounded version of the branded product. The difference in expense may not be quite as significant with canine doses, but then again, it may.

The difference in expense may not be quite as significant with canine doses, but then again, it may.

The loading dose was expensive since I had to do two injections a week for four weeks. But giving one injection a month isn't bad. I pay about $100.00 for a year's supply. That is less than what I pay for Tramadol and the other supplements and stuff that he gets. It's a lot up front, but then I don't have to buy it again for a year.

I have heard excellent things about Adequan. Dosage (and therefore cost) depends on weight, but shouldn't vary too much from the figures posted by Root Beer - if your vet will give it to you so you can do the injections at home. I spent $110 for 10 cc of the canine Adequan. My dog (40 lb) gets 0.8 cc per injection which works out to about $10 per. Another vet I used (notice the past tense) would not give me Adequan, and I had to bring my dog into his office for a $45 shot. Not going to do that.

I am using it currently as a post-op treatment for my dog so I can not speak to how it works for older dogs affected by arthritis. But again, I have heard only positive reviews about Adequan.

My dog is also getting treated with a cold laser at his rehab office visits. He seems to really enjoy it. He relaxes and closes his eyes during treatment (and this is from a excitable, crazy dog). Again, it is being used for his post-op treatment so I am not sure how it affects dogs with a chronic arthritic condition. but it is supposed to reduce inflammation.

Jovi

I don't know if it's available for small animals, but I use the human version of "Surpass" which is marketed for equines. It works really well on my arthritic joints but is short lasting- about two- three hours. I have annecdotal evidence from several friends whose horses are arthritic that it is very successful in treating their horses, as well. There is a little difference in strength between the human and equine versions and a HUGE difference in price. Once again, I do not know if it is available in a small animal form.

Our 14.5 year old Casper has arthritis in his hind legs (knees we think). He is on Rimadyl and Cosequin which helps some days more than others. Our vet has talked about Adequan injections or Cold Laser Therapy. I was hoping someone here might have experience with either of these or might have another alternative for the pain. Otherwise, he is in pretty good shape, his blood work is excellent for his age and most days he gets a morning and evening walks totaling about 1.5 to 2 miles depending on how he feels.

A very good drug for arthritis in canines is metacam. It is an NSAID and very effective especially for older dogs with long lasting arthritis. I had my old Turk dog on it ffrom age 8.5 to 15.5 with absolutely no side effects ever and he competed extremely well in large field trials and double lifts until almosty 12 years of age. For the last two years of his life after retirement he was on a very low dose of prednizone every second day along with the Metacam which worked quite well. Exercise was always determined by his condition on the day. He was on a maintenance dose of Metacam which is a drench in liquid form and comes with its own calibrated syringe for easy dosing. I always have a bottle on hand for emergencies. Vet's prescription is required. Try it, I have had very good results with it......Bob Stephens

Archived