BC Boards

Neutered dog mating

Gloria Atwater

Howdy all ~

This may make me look like more of an ignoramus than usual, but I've gotta ask ...

A woman I know had her 1 -1/2 year old BC boy neutered about 3 months ago. Last week he mated with and achieved a tie with one of her bitches, who was in the late 2nd week of her heat cycle. What I'd like to know is, although the hormones obviously aren't completely out of his system, is it safe to presume any viable sperm left outside his testes is long since dead?

Like I said, I've gotta ask. B)

Cheers ~

Gloria

The sperm are dead and/or long gone at this point in time. The hormones are actually gone about a month after neutering. Neutered dogs are able to achieve ties long after being neutered.

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy, that's what I thought. Poor pup. He finally gets laid when he no longer has the wherewithal to do anything with it! :P

Guess it just goes to show that neutering doesn't alter behaviors in all dogs at the same speed, if at all. My Jesse was neutered at 2 years old and he became a much nicer dog to live with almost overnight, never looked at a female with interest again. Yet I knew another dog that was neutered early on, but he'd still mate (given a chance) well into his later years.

Cheers ~

Gloria

I have had dogs neutered at 6 mo old that are still very aware of bitches in heat and will mount and tie given the opportunity. One is my 6 yr old great pyr. the other a 10 yr old bc - both neutered as pups. They both will mount a bitch sooner than an intact male I have who is only concerned when the bitch is actually fertile for about 5 days.

Denice

yup both my neutered males used to get really obbessive when Misty was in heat and achieved ties many times. where as another male we had, was obbessive and insane when he wasnt fixed and when we neutered him it was like a switch and he never looked at a female that way again lol. oddly neither of my boys ever gave a darn when Electra was in heat, despite trying her hardest lol

The sperm are dead and/or long gone at this point in time. The hormones are actually gone about a month after neutering. Neutered dogs are able to achieve ties long after being neutered.

Kathy

Yep, Mick is three, and was neutered at about 16 months. He did successfully tie with Sinead once when she was in heat. He is VERY much aware of bitches in heat.

Archived