BC Boards

Feeding Raw to an 11-week puppy

brady's mom

I've been looking in to a Raw diet for my BC puppy, Brady, but no matter how much I look through the internet, I haven't been able to find how much to feed him at this age. Some sources say to feed 2%-5% of the ideal adult body weight, but there are conflicting sources saying to feed 5% of current weight. I'm not sure which to go with, and so I come to you guys for help. =D

Also, what would be best to start him off with? Ground meat with the bone ground in or just go straight into RMB?

I start my pups on a bone-in-ground mix (Oma's lamb, typically) before gradually adding in ground turkey and then sheep/cow/goat organs, then, say, chicken backs and then fish and then lamb riblets and so on. I feed about 3-4% of expected adult weight and adjust up or down if pup feels too lean or too plump. I believe if you want to feed percentage of pup's current weight, it should be 10%, backing down on that percentage as pup grows. Since I don't feed that formula, though, I'm not positive on that figure.

For my pup, the initial introduction to raw was a bit rough. His parents were fed raw, but the pups were weaned onto Timberwolf kibble. When I started him on bone-in ground raw, he had some diarrhea. So I backed off to just ground chicken or turkey with some pumpkin mixed in, then gradually added the ground raw, then introduced RMBs and organs. That seemed to move everything along smoothly. I started with about 3% of expected adult weight and after a few weeks was able to eyeball it pretty well.

Thanks so much guys. =D

I went out and bought some ground turkey, pumpkin, and chicken wings to introduce him to his new diet. We'll have to see how it goes, hopefully well. I think if it goes alright we'll give it a couple weeks and then add in organs and some red meat. He looks just like his dad, same structure and everything, so I'm thinking he'll end up in-between 45 and 50 lbs.

I hope this goes well, I'll post back with an update on how he takes to it. =D

Archived