BC Boards

Puppy Weaning Age

A couple of friends at work are getting a puppy soon. They have been asking me tons

of questions, which I don't mind, because I was able to talk them out of two siblings

and they've settled on just one pup. The question I raise here is, the pups are

6 weeks old as of today. I told them to wait at least until they are 8 weeks old. That

will make it the 22nd, Friday ,weekend, good time to get the little one settled in.

It's been a long time since I've raised a "just weaned pup" and I come here asking

is just turning 8 weeks old enough to have gone through the puppy socialization period

or is it better to let them get through their 8th week? I don't know if I'm splitting

hairs here, but I don't want to give them bad info.

Thanks, Mike

And I prefer 10 weeks. They have the social skills, they've learned pack dynamics, they should be "through" the first fear period. JMO, but I wait to bring home or send till week 10. They just seem a whole lot more settled, more mentally stable and confident.

We've had pups come home at 7 weeks, 8 weeks and 10 weeks. 10 weeks is definitely easier in terms of their social skills and they are able to sleep through the night.

I don't know that it's made much difference to the adult dogs they become, but the 10 week olds were definitely a lot easier for *us* and just generally seemed a little more sturdy.