BC Boards

"Share This Topic"

"Share This Topic"  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the "Share This Topic" bar at the bottom of each thread page?

There's been a little discussion about the "Share This Topic" option at the bottom of each thread page, which allows easy ways to put links to particular threads on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites (and also has quick ways of printing and emailing threads to others). Here's your chance to make your opinions known. The pro's of keeping it include the fact that it can promote information sharing across various Internet sites. The con's include the fact that conversations about threads originating here might continue in other communities that BC Boards members don't necessarily have access to. What do you all think?

Heather, is this feature available to non-members?

In a way I like the idea of it being available to the topic starter only! But realistically, those buttons are just there for convenience. Anyone who wants to can copy the link to a thread and post it anywhere they want to, including the Fried Puppies For Breakfast Lovers Society. This is a very well-moderated forum and we've developed a strong sense of community here. But really, even though I often don't feel that way about it, we're totally public. So I'm willing to go with whatever Heather and Eileen prefer.

you know I'm kinda freaked by all this computery stuff.

But I think.......I think.....

Oh heck I don't know......what I think

I vote for Eileen and Heather.

Now I'm going to eat my gingerbread I just made.

There's been a little discussion about the "Share This Topic" option at the bottom of each thread page, which allows easy ways to put links to particular threads on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites (and also has quick ways of printing and emailing threads to others). Here's your chance to make your opinions known. The pro's of keeping it include the fact that it can promote information sharing across various Internet sites. The con's include the fact that conversations about threads originating here might continue in other communities that BC Boards members don't necessarily have access to. What do you all think?

I vote for gingerbread...

Seriously, my vote is no-- I realize that if you post something anywhere on the Internet it is "out there" -- and could end up anywhere in cyberspace very quickly but for me the deciding factor is that if a lost soul is searching for information on Border Collies any search engine (I happen to use Google) returns these boards as one of the top hits. If information easily migrates off these boards, then that position might be lost and the chance to provide good information to the public might also be lost. Maybe my reasoning might be off, but that's my reason...

Liz

As someone noted on another thread, it seems that deleting the share features at the bottom perhaps deleted the option of e-mailing a thread to someone? That's the one share feature I have used in the past and would use in the future, but now I wonder if the share thing is all or nothing--that is, if you want to be able to share via e-mail then the other options (facebook and twitter) must also be available. Heather or Eileen, is this the case?

J.

As someone noted on another thread, it seems that deleting the share features at the bottom perhaps deleted the option of e-mailing a thread to someone? That's the one share feature I have used in the past and would use in the future, but now I wonder if the share thing is all or nothing--that is, if you want to be able to share via e-mail then the other options (facebook and twitter) must also be available. Heather or Eileen, is this the case?

J.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. If you take away the row of Twitter, Facebook, etc. buttons, the email button goes too. We're looking into it, but I think it's going to turn out to be all or nothing for that row. But of course you can just copy and paste the link into your email with very little extra effort. That's how I've always done it, actually.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. If you take away the row of Twitter, Facebook, etc. buttons, the email button goes too. We're looking into it, but I think it's going to turn out to be all or nothing for that row. But of course you can just copy and paste the link into your email with very little extra effort. That's how I've always done it, actually.

Copying and pasting is how I have always done it. I guess I didn't even realize there was an easier way!

Copying and pasting is how I have always done it. I guess I didn't even realize there was an easier way!

You have to be lazy and looking for shortcuts to find stuff like that. Usually the only threads I share that way are photo threads (e.g., sharing threads about Lone with someone not on the boards who also has beardies....) I guess I'll just do the copy and paste thing now.

J.

I think the download feature was also on that Twitter bar. That feature in the previous iteration of the Boards allowed for downloading a whole thread as an MS Word document that could be read when the Internet wasn't available, like on a plane. I did this pretty frequently when traveling. Very useful.

Archived