BC Boards

Puppy Growth Rate

Even my tiny little fluff of a dog (11lb adult - and tiny dogs usually stop faster) grew after 6 months. I don't think there's much chance that he's actually finished at his age at all. Probably wouldn't double his weight, but I would not be shocked by another 10lbs and 2 inches.

That makes me feel better thanks.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess that Kenzi must have grown after 6 months?

Risk's weight is just right at around 20lbs for his current height and build. He was skinny but isn't now.

I'm guessing she put on a couple inches. I didn't get her until she was close to 10 m/o and she really didn't get taller after that. Kolt hasn't grown much at all past 6 m/o but he's still gotten 1-1.5 inches taller and put on 8 or so pounds

Sounding promising.

My 16in mongrel used to compete in agility sometimes over 30in jumps and had no problem but she was only average speed against the bigger collies at that height. Our ambitions for Risk are higher and he will only be jumping 26in. I have no doubt that it will be easy for him but would just like a little more height on him to make him more competitive.

But he will be what he will be and if he doesn't have the speed to get to the top because of his diminutive size the bonus will be that I get to run him myself rather than handing him over to my daughter.

There are champions not much taller than him so just a little more height would do.

My Lark was a tiny puppy and was much tinier than her littermates. She's still much smaller than her littermates. IIRC she probably weighed in the low 20s until she was around 3 years old. I don't think she ever topped 30 pounds, or if she did, just barely. She's well put together, athletic, and healthy. She was just never very big. She'll be 9 at the end of the month.

Her two daughters are pretty much spitting images of her and are both small like her, but both already weigh in at 29 pounds at less than 2 years old. I imagine they won't end up much over thirty pounds either.

In the photo, you can see Lark's size compared to my leg...

J.

post-918-0-60641500-1421377276_thumb.jpg

Django is 10 months old now and has grown steadily since we got him at 8 weeks.

He is now 50-55lbs and 23.5 inches at the shoulder, he is also extremely lean and still has a lot of muscle to build but can run like the wind :).

When we picked him up his mother was about half the size he is now so you can never tell, he had a few limping phases at around 8 months old due to his front legs growing too fast. He has been on adult food since 6 months.

post-16799-0-07347600-1421380393_thumb.jpg

I cant see him getting much taller but he will fill out as his growth plates fuse.

There's no answer to that kingfisher.

Short dog that turns tight but lacks a bit of speed over the ground versus a leggy dog that eats up the ground on the flat but turns wide or jumps too long. Or a short or tall dog that can both turn tightly and cover the ground. Or a short dog that turns wide etc........

To a large extent it depends on the course on the day which will have the edge, plus the training it has had of course.

There is no top of my dog's height range. My only concern is that my pup is currently right at the bottom of his size although, having said that, I know dogs that regularly beat all comers that are only an inch or so taller.

Not very helpful, is it?

I have a question. I'm not sure if it's different where you're competing, but I was looking at the AAC height categories and it says 21" is the tallest category. So does that mean a normal sized border collie is jumping in the same class as everything bigger than it?

Sorry, I don't know what AAC is.

In KC agility in the UK every dog over 17in jumps 26in. The problem with raising jump heights according to dog height is that some of the biggest breeds are the ones that would benefit most from lower jumps because they aren't really built for jumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Bandit, at 11 months old, is 34.5 pounds. I was surprised because I had guestimated him at 40, based on his size and lifting him. But no, 34.5. And he's not underweight at all.

He's about 21.5 inches tall. I really need to make a wicket and see what his height is for certain.

He's a squirt in my household!!! Although he's taller than Tessa, he is a good 10 pounds lighter!! He's very compact.

When I look at him and Tessa together, it is clear why he weighs so much less. Even though he is taller than her (and not just ears), she clearly just has a lot more to her. Right now she could stand to lose about 2 pounds, but she is very close to her correct weight. She's just got more "mass" to her. She looks to be bigger boned. And, of course, her head is much blockier. Her head alone probably weighs at least a pound more than his!! LOL!!!

Gideon will be 4 in a couple weeks and he's still right at the same long lean 43# that he was at about 18-20 months, but Micah has always looked stockier and definitely gained just a bit at about 2 1/2 years. He'll be 3 soon, so I hope he's done.

Keeper has hit 10.5 months and out of nowhere he has sprouted muscles! And a forehead! He doesn't get made fun of for his needle nose anymore. He's actually a touch lighter than before, he's holding out right at 40 lbs. Get got a little chunky when he stayed at Grandma's while I was in Chicago. He weighs quite a bit more than he appears to. I suspect he'll top out at around 45 lbs once he fills out around 2 or 3.

Trooper is our shrimp. He's 10 months old and is around 29 lbs. He's still pretty sick, but his weight is right around where it should be. He could even afford to lose a little more weight and gain some muscle tone. We'll see where he ends up once he's older, though I'm sure he's always going to be on the smaller side.

This was an interesting topic to browse through. Made me look back at Archer's records.

7wks-13lbs

10wks - 17.4lbs

12wks - 19.4lbs

13wks - 19.6lbs

13.5wks - 20.3lbs

16wks - 26.8lbs

22 wks - ~35lbs - (5months)

33wks - ~43lbs - (7months&21days)

36wks - ~46lbs - (8months&10days)

Archer definitely seems to be on the larger end and he was the largest in the litter. He was unlucky and caught parvo between booster shots at about 12wks. So he was skin and bones for about 1.5wks. Also, when he was younger I always thought his nose was too big for his head, but he finally grew into it. I don't think that he had much of a forehead until 6months and I am glad that it finally showed up.

My girl is five months old now, 17 inches tall and fairly solid-looking.

8 weeks - 9.9lbs

12 weeks - 13lbs

16 weeks - 19.1lbs

20 weeks - 23.1lbs

36 weeks - 33lbs

She's definitely going to end up well within the 26lbs - 41lbs broad range predicted I think.

Risk is still growing - Yay!!!

7 months old and now 18ins at the withers but 19ins at the hips. His back end has always been higher than his front and his back has never lengthened. Still got a pin head too.

No growth spurt, just slow and steady.

5.5 weeks= 6lbs

8 weeks= 10.7lbs

10 weeks= 13.0lbs

12 weeks= 15.8lbs

16 weeks= 23lbs

17 weeks= 24lbs

20 weeks= 30lbs

23 weeks= 32.5lbs

I need to measure him and see how tall he is. He’s exactly 10 lbs lighter than Tess, although she could stand to lose a couple of pounds. He’s definitely within an inch of her height.

He’s definitely stopped gaining as much as fast.

I’m guessing he’ll end up between 40 and 50lbs. Probably closer to 50.