BC Boards

Qualifying an unregistered dog for nursery

NorthfieldNick

Can anyone tell me what the rules are for qualifying a non-registered dog for nursery? All I could find on the USBCHA website was the age qualifications.

Hoot has no papers, but he does have a known & verifiable birthdate. I'm not worried about the local trials here, which may be as far as we ever get, but what about the bigger trials, and Finals?

Thanks.

Dear Doggers,

Run the dog in nursery. That known and verifiable birthdate MUST be independently verified -an attestation by the owner won't be sufficient. Shay McMullen's Lad was found in a roadside ditch. The vet he was taken to attested his age at the time and later when he was entering the nursery Finals.

Donald McCaig

Thanks!

Even if he ends up being that good, I don't see any reason to ever ROM Hoot, as he's castrated already.

Just a heads up. In order to have your trial qualify as one of your 2 top 20% finishes (the requirement to qualify foe nursery) you (the handler) must be a member of the USBCHA at the time you run. Since you cannot be a member until you have run a sanctioned (either nursery or open) trial essentially you must run your first trial and then immediately join after that. So if you happen to win your first trial it likely will not count - but if you are good enough to win your first trial you should have no problem placing top 20% in 2 more.

Thanks, MagRam. I knew you had to be a member to qualify, but I didn't know that you had to be a General Member (as opposed to an Associate Member, for which you do not have to have run at a sanctioned trial).

I very seriously doubt I'll qualify for Finals with Hoot, at least Nursery. Never know, though!

Thanks, MagRam. I knew you had to be a member to qualify, but I didn't know that you had to be a General Member (as opposed to an Associate Member, for which you do not have to have run at a sanctioned trial).

I very seriously doubt I'll qualify for Finals with Hoot, at least Nursery. Never know, though!

Seems there ought to be a way to transition from Associate to General Member but I specifically asked my (well I'm not actually a member yet due to that running in a sanctioned class thingy) District Board Member this question at a trial last April when I was scribing for her as a judge. After thinking about it the answer was basically that as it stands now your first sanctioned trial run is essentially a throw away as far as points because you can't join until after. But - hey - if you are good enough to get points first time out you should be able to get them again.

Guest herbertholmes

Throughout the history of the usbcha the memberships collected by directors or given to trial host to be sent in with results allowed points or nursery qualifications to be counted from the trial where dues were paid. Our members try go do everything to encourage new people not discourage in anyway. It would be dissapointing go see someone abuse this latitude, but I don't believe it has ever happened. h

Here's a related question, Hub (or anyone else): If you are not a member, but your dog is qualified by someone else, can you just join as a full member or would you have to run the dog yourself in a sanctioned trial to become a full member in order to compete in the finals?

Throughout the history of the usbcha the memberships collected by directors or given to trial host to be sent in with results allowed points or nursery qualifications to be counted from the trial where dues were paid. Our members try go do everything to encourage new people not discourage in anyway. It would be dissapointing go see someone abuse this latitude, but I don't believe it has ever happened. h

Herbert - that is good to know and exactly what I will do. It is - however - directly contrary to what I was told by my District Board member. So thank you for coming on here and clarifying that.

Herbert - that is good to know and exactly what I will do. It is - however - directly contrary to what I was told by my District Board member. So thank you for coming on here and clarifying that.

One other question and perhaps a thought - As I understand it - and based just on this thread alone I have been proven wrong at times - you cannot join as an Associate and then simply migrate to a regular member. Basically as I understand you would have to sign up separately as a regular member after running in a sanctioned class. It would seem that more people might be encouraged to join as Associates if there was a way to migrate from Associate to regular member and this might increase Assocition dues. Just a thought.

I was always under the impression that the Associate membership was for dues-payers who couldn't vote because they had not run in a sanctioned trial (yet) or for a period of time (is it 3 years?), the idea being that unless you were more-or-less actively trialing, you shouldn't have a vote on HA policy. An Associate member who steps up and runs a dog just becomes a Regular member, right?

When I was a Director I regularly took dues money from people at trials before their runs in case they should score well enough to earn points. I even sent the money to Francis afterward :rolleyes:

Amy

I have been an Associate member for several years. Fine by me, I don't run a dog and I like to support the HA. Herbert told me that all I needed to do to become a voting member was to run a dog in Open or Nursery - he wouldn't have said that if he'd ever seen me run a dog...

I asked Francis this question, since I am not currently a member (have not run Open or Nurserey yet) but have a promising young dog who might be ready to start running next year - the answer was that I should register as an Associate member, and when they receive my first sanctioned trial results that automatically would bump me up to a General Memer and the points or qualifications would count.

Diana

I asked Francis this question, since I am not currently a member (have not run Open or Nurserey yet) but have a promising young dog who might be ready to start running next year - the answer was that I should register as an Associate member, and when they receive my first sanctioned trial results that automatically would bump me up to a General Memer and the points or qualifications would count.

Diana

Okay. That is good to know. But it would be nice if they somehow made this information more available. As I said I asked my District Board Member and apparently got incorrect information. So, if the members of the Board don't know it is hard for those of us not yet running sanctioned trials to know.

Diana

This is the same answer I got from her earlier this year. I joined as an Associate before I ran my dog in Nursery and was a General Member automatically after that.

Archived